Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Look for adapter: M42 female to M42 female

I am looking for a tube/ring/adapter/etc that has female M42 threads on both ends. Where can I find such an item? I tried hunting around eBay for something like this but I came out empty handed.

Why do I want this? I am building up a film/slide copier kit based around my A 50mm f/1.4. The string of equipment is:

K-30 --> Cheap K-mount bellows --> A 50mm f/1.4 --> 49mm male to M42 male reversing ring --> M42 female to female coupler (missing) --> M42 bellows --> film/slide holder

This may sound cumbersome but it's actually very nice. I get variable control over my magnification with the first bellows and I can smoothly adjust the distance to my film with the second bellows. Since it's all connected together everything is generally very well lined up too.

So, anyone know where I can find this magical M42-M42 female to female adapter?

04-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Doesn't the m42 bellows have a female screw (like a camera body) on the lens side already? (Otherwise, how would it ever mount an m42 lens?)
04-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt that there are any available. I would think that your best bet would be to find two old M42 cameras (obviously NOT Pentax - especially Spotmatics), and carefully remove (rip) their mounts off, so that you can put them back to back with some standoffs and screw them together. You might need to find a machine shop to make the standoffs with threads on either end. You would also need to light seal the two mounts. You might try some thick wall PVC pipe - or pipe fittings (painting the interior with flat black), and see if they are near the right size in diameter.

04-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Oh, I guess I didn't look at your diagram closely enough (haven't had my coffee) -- so you are actually using the m42 bellows backwards?

I also doubt they exist. There might be another solution (that I could think of after my coffee), but yeah you can rip out the mounts from old m42 bodies -- and I actually did that to a Spotmatic (but it was totally trashed already) for a similar idea that I never actually executed. So I actually have one mount you can have if you want (but not until May, it is in storage). To attach another one to it you'd have to line them up just right (and they would not rotate, but the bellows mount usually does) and then put a ring or something around the middle to seal them (with JB Weld, or something fancier maybe).

Oh wait, how about cannibalizing another m42 bellows and somehow switch out the male mount for female on one side?

04-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I want to use the M42 bellows in the correct orientation. The male M42 threaded end that would screw into a M42 body needs to screw onto the M42 male threads of the reversing ring. The female M42 threaded end of the M42 bellows will have the film/slide holder screwed into it.

I thought I could get my F-F M42 adapter by connecting a series of step up/down ring adapters but they end up having the wrong gender.

I'd feel bad taking apart good working equipment but that may be my only choice.
04-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I want to use the M42 bellows in the correct orientation. The male M42 threaded end that would screw into a M42 body needs to screw onto the M42 male threads of the reversing ring. The female M42 threaded end of the M42 bellows will have the film/slide holder screwed into it.
Well, ok, not backwards because I guess the slide holder is mounted normally, but still you're putting a male lens (even if it is the front of the lens) where a female body would normally go.

I'd look first for another cheap set of m42 bellows (old single rail) and see if you can somehow swap the mounts on one of them. You can get those for practically nothing with a bit of searching, I've see them often at thrift stores and junk bins (or included with an old camera kit for a few bucks). Of course you can get m42 bodies pretty cheap too, especially if they don't have to work.
04-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

1 really short m42 extension tube, and one any size,
remove male ring from both, mount both female rings to short one, if screw holes don't line up, it's jb weld time, but i'd be willing to bet they would if they're from the same brand
04-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
1 really short m42 extension tube, and one any size,
remove male ring from both, mount both female rings to short one, if screw holes don't line up, it's jb weld time, but i'd be willing to bet they would if they're from the same brand
Remove rings? On older m42 tubes (I have a bunch of 'em), there are no rings to remove, it is just a fixed piece. Do the cheap Chinese ones come apart?

04-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So you just need a simple barrel union, that is a tube internally threaded for M42 ?
04-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

ah, i didn't know that,
i assumed they were made similar to the k-mount ones.

you know what they say when you assume..........
04-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
ah, i didn't know that,
i assumed they were made similar to the k-mount ones.

you know what they say when you assume..........
I've had K-mount ones that came apart -- TERRIBLE, but yeah you'd have to make sure you are buying new/cheap tubes like that. Vintage m42 tubes are solid.
04-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
So you just need a simple barrel union, that is a tube internally threaded for M42 ?

Yes, exactly!! Even some sort of long lock nut. I don't need a lot of torque or weight support.
04-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You know, I have a weird tube that is internally & externally threaded (I think) that came with some bellows -- I could never figure out what it was for. (Again, in storage until May so can't check it right now.)
04-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, Boris,
I am about to set up the lathe to do a nut for an old shutter 2 inch thread so I might as well put the metric gear on and do an M42 by 1mm 60 degree thread for you too.

What Outside Diameter and Length? ( it will be from 58mm dia 6061 bar)
04-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

How about taking two generic K-mount to M42 adapters and soldering them together? The flanged ones will give you more surface to solder together. Depending on the material you might even be able to spot weld the flanges together. Or drill holes and bolt them together Flange A ] [ Flange B