Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

tripod for 6'5

other than the slik pro700dx what is out there for someone that is taller than 6'0 without having to fully extend the center column?

04-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one at home, a Manfrotto, but can't recall the model number. I'll try and remember to look.
04-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Why don't you like the SLIK 700DX PRO? I just bought one a week ago and really like it.
04-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you do not mind the extra weight then I would recommend Tiltall (original if you can find). They are big, heavy, tall and very sturdy. I am 6'4" and I was able to work with it without bending at all. The weight was just too much for casual photo taking trips though so I have replaced it with Slik 330DX which I like a lot (not as tall though).

04-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am 6'2 (used to be 6'3 haha ) anyway here is my story https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/24620-manfrotto...ob-tripod.html

Unfortunatley still winter here !!!!!! but I have used it a few times for moon shots and some in house random crap. I am very pleased so far with build , stability and size. The center column only entended a little for my eye level. Good luck.

Last edited by daacon; 04-24-2008 at 08:17 AM.
04-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

plenty of tall tripods

I have an old 3036 Bogen/Manfrotto that is more than tall enough - I'm sure they still make something similar. I'm a few inches shorter than you, and don't need the center column at all. But it doesn't matter - the tripod is so heavy that it's equally steady (with a dslr) with or without the center column, even in mildly windy conditions.

I suspect what you are looking for is something tall, strong, and light. Can't help you there.

When I travel I use my smaller Slik u212, which is the largest tripod I have that will fit in my luggage. You'd need a huge bag or case for the Bogen. The Slik is half the size of the Bogen but needs the center column for eye-level use and might still be a couple of inches short for you. It actually works pretty well with the K100 and the 50-200mm. Not so well with a heavier camera/lens. Of course if you get wind or something then the center column is a problem (not so with the Bogen), even with some weight hanging off the bottom of it.

Paul
04-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
Why don't you like the SLIK 700DX PRO? I just bought one a week ago and really like it.
i do like it and that is the one i more than likely will end up buying i was simply fishing for other suggestions was all it is a little on the heavy side but dont really plan on using it as a hiking tripod as its not something that i do.

04-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am 5'8" (OK a little altitude challenged compared to most of you).

I use a very old Vivitar "Professional Tripod" (their name for it, not mine) Model # 1321, equipped at present with a Monfretto 468 C2 ball head.

if I eextend the legs fully, the camera mounting platform is at eye level. i.e. I need to stand on my toes to see through the view finder.

Some have commented that this ball head is actually too small and I should be using a larger (i.e. also higher) one.

All of this is without extending the center column at all! You would need to be over 7 feet tall, or stand on a ladder to look through the lens with the column extended fully.

I guess the point is, you might want to look at some older used equipment (my vivitar is 30 years old) Maybe people were taller back then

p.s. don't ask about the weight. it does weigh quite a bit.
04-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Manfrotto 144B.
Have to have the centre column up, but not all the way.
I am 1.96m.
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm 6'1" and have an older Ambico that I found in a garage sale that extends up higher than I can use. I'm not sure though if the newer ones are the same because the company got bought out. The quick release was missing and I spent the time to make one just because this tripod goes high. I have some lower back issues and don't like bending. Its tough to find anything. I've made a rant or 2 on some other threads. Most tripods list height at 58". Add maybe 4 or 5 for the ball head. Still a little too short for my comfort. Spend a whole day at a sporting event and its agony so my homemade rig stays for now
04-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I just got a Vanguard Tracker 4 from Buy.com because I had a $25 off coupon. It ended up being $90. It's a nice tripod. Well built legs very sturdy, the head is very robust and move quite fluidly. I'm 6'2 and with just the legs out (no extension of the center column) the viewfinder is at eye level (with a battery grip....). I don't use a tripod a lot, so couuldn't justify $3-400 for a bogen/manfrotto, but this tripod seems to be quite nice for the money. Another option I suppose.