Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Wasabi charger and battery question

I recently acquired a new wasabi charger and 2 wasabi batteries (LI90), primarily for travel (the charger is far more compact than the pentax charger plus cord.)

Question for people with wasabi chargers:

1. does the LED (green when fully charged) dim substantially when a fully charged battery is inserted vs. not? (Or, obviously, brighten significantly when a fully charged battery is removed?)

2. Is there any significance to the wasabi charger having two conductor prongs vs. three on the pentax charger?

I'm concerned because one of the the batteries took much longer to to fully charge than the other - as in longer to charge than a fully discharged battery should require - so I might return or exchange the product, but am curious about others' experiences.

04-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using mine for over a year, to be honest never paid much attention to the lights. I just did a test and the light turns red when a not charged battery is inserted. Stays green when a fully charged battery is inserted.I'll have to wait until the charge cycle is finished to see what happens then, I think it goes it back to green.

I do not see any change in brightness when a charged battery is inserted, not sure if that is definitive, my charger is over a year old so it is possible they have made changes. What does the manual say about the lights?

As to two prong versus three prong, the third (round) prong is a safety ground in case you come into contact with the internals of a device. My Pentax charger has only two prongs (and I have three of them, all the same) so I'm not sure why yours has three. I'm not up on when the electric code requires three versus two but lamps, small chargers and lots of electrical devices only have two. Three is generally found when there is a risk of someone coming into contact with a live part of the device. But it's been years since I did electrical work and I don't remember the exact details. But I do not think that it is an issue to worry about.

Does the battery that took long to charge work properly? Power up the camera and last a reasonable time? I received a bad battery from them initially, emailed their support and was told it was likely a bad chip in the battery. They mailed me a replacement right away and I've no issues since.
04-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The led turns from red to green when the battery charge is complete, I'm just not sure if the led jumping up in brightness when the charged battery is removed is significant.

Regarding the Pentax charger, I meant the number of prongs that contact the battery, not that are plugged into the wall. Pentax and wasabi both have 2 contacts going to the 120v outlet, but the pentax has 3 contact between the charger and battery, while wasabi has 2.
04-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The 3rd contact in the Pentax charger might be how it detects a fully charged battery. Wasabi might detect charge in a different manner. I charged Wasabi batteries in Pentax chargers and Pentax batteries in Wasabi chargers without issues. During my former model aircraft flying days, all chargers did fine with just 2 contacts so I wouldn't worry about the contact difference.

The Wasabi charger is IMO vastly superior to Pentax, especially when traveling. The Pentax has the annoying long cord while Wasabi is more compact to pack and just plugs into a 115V outlet. My Wasabi also includes a removable 12V cigarette lighter cord for recharging on the road.

Do keep an eye on the battery that took excessively long to charge. Put a small removable mark on it so you can keep track of which battery it was. New batteries sometimes take a couple of charging cycle to begin behaving normally, but there's also the possibility of a manufacturing defect. When you charge that battery the next few times do it in a fireproof bucket in case the battery goes "poof".

04-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Regarding the Pentax charger, I meant the number of prongs that contact the battery, not that are plugged into the wall. Pentax and wasabi both have 2 contacts going to the 120v outlet, but the pentax has 3 contact between the charger and battery, while wasabi has 2.
Sorry I misunderstood. I consider the 'prongs' on the battery to be contacts, just semantics I guess. Anyway, my Wasabi and Pentax batteries all have three contacts. They are labeled '-', 'T', and '+' which one are you missing? I read someplace that one contact was to monitor the charging process but I don't have a reference for that.
04-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My experience has been pretty much the same as the above. I have used the Wasabi charger to charge Wasabi, Pearstone 2000 and Pentax batteries without issue. When I travel, I always just take the smaller Wasabi charger. In addition to compactness, the 2-prong mains connection fits the 2-slot Japanese and other wall outlets without an adapter. Like others, I pretty much ignore the lights.
04-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sorry I misunderstood. I consider the 'prongs' on the battery to be contacts, just semantics I guess. Anyway, my Wasabi and Pentax batteries all have three contacts. They are labeled '-', 'T', and '+' which one are you missing? I read someplace that one contact was to monitor the charging process but I don't have a reference for that.
All my 3 brands of batteries have 3 contacts. They all work ok in my cameras (so far - just got the wasabis 2 days ago.)

It's just the wasabi charger that has 2 battery contacts, vs. 3 on the Pentax charger, so I'm wondering if that precludes the wasabi charger having some functionality that pentax chargers have.

04-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
All my 3 brands of batteries have 3 contacts. They all work ok in my cameras (so far - just got the wasabis 2 days ago.) It's just the wasabi charger that has 2 battery contacts, vs. 3 on the Pentax charger, so I'm wondering if that precludes the wasabi charger having some functionality that pentax chargers have.
Guess I am having a senior day, all day... Yes the Wasabi charger has only two contacts and the Pentax one has three. No idea exactly what it does. It is the contact labeled 'T' on the batteries. I do remember reading that it was used to monitor the charging process but no idea if that is correct. Regardless, I have used my Wasabi charger for well over a year with both Pentax and Wasabi batteries with no ill effects. YMMV
04-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To summarize I have a total of 6 batteries:

2 pentax: A is 1 yr old, B is 2 yrs old
2 generic ebay: C & D, both 2 yrs old
2 new wasabi: E & F

Batteries B and F both cause the green LED in the wasabi charger to drop significantly in brightness when they're inserted (even fully charged.) When the batteries are inserted, no amount of charging will bring up the LED brightness.

All the other batteries show no difference in the LED brightness when the charger is merely plugged in, vs. when the fully charged battery is inserted.

All the batteries work ok in my cameras, but it's not like I test battery life every day, so I haven't evaluated their longevity. My plan is to carry 1 spare for each camera with me (so 1 in each of 2 cameras, plus 1 spare for each camera), while the other 2 are being charged.

I'll ask wasabi about the LED issue and report back what I learn.
04-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I contacted Blue Nook and they're sending a replacement for the battery that causes the charger led to dim. That battery also took much longer to initially charge than the other battery that came with the charger, and they said that definitely shouldn't have occurred.

So it occurs to me that possibly my older Pentax battery (B, above) is also headed toward failing, since it's the only other battery I have that behaves the somewhat similarly.

Blue nook customer service was exceptionally helpful, and I definitely won't hesitate to buy additional Blue Nook products in the future.
04-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Isn't the T Contact (the 3rd one on the OEM charger) a Temperature kind of sensor to protect overheating during the charge ?

Personnaly, I have wasbi chargers, and I am always questionning myself about the status of the charge because I am moderate color blind, so I cannot easily distinguish between the red and green led... I prefer the OEM charger because the light turns off when at full charge

;-)
04-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Weevil, this is just an idea that may not even work, but may be worth a try. Get a piece of dark green or dark red glass or similar, maybe even a beer bottle, then place it in front of the light on the charger. The light of the opposite colour will then seem much dimmer, which will help you to decide. Maybe. It's just a thought, springing from memories of my physics classes 50 years ago.
04-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Isn't the T Contact (the 3rd one on the OEM charger) a Temperature kind of sensor to protect overheating during the charge ?

Personnaly, I have wasbi chargers, and I am always questionning myself about the status of the charge because I am moderate color blind, so I cannot easily distinguish between the red and green led... I prefer the OEM charger because the light turns off when at full charge

;-)

Yes, I believe you're correct, the "T" is for thermal protection circuitry in the battery so it won't overcharge and go "poof"!