Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I'd call it entry-level because from a construction standpoint because the metal parts are forged aluminum. Mid-range to high grade in my mind means magnesium alloys and/or CNC machining from solid metal blocks rather than forging.
If the metal components were the likely breakage points of the tripod, obsessing about this would make more sense. :P

I've noticed that Dolica has a lot of entry-level, very inexpensive tripods. I assume like many companies, they are re-branding tripods made by one of the big Chinese companies
Yes and the tripod I own (proline 62, 40$) is physically identical to an Induro model (140$), down to the head itself.

All indications are that the Field Optics Research Schonfeld KF6615T carbon fiber tripod, which sells for $199 from the Field Optics Research website or $149 from B&H, is the same tripod as the AmazonBasics 52-inch carbon fiber travel tripod, which sells for $79 with ball head.
To continue with my Dolica example, the Induro has straight legs, and the Dolica's legs are twisted so that when they are extended and gathered together, they look warped. They still hold gear steady, but there are differences between apparently identical tripods.

I think it's more complicated than "you get what you pay for".
That's your call. Almost everyone gives the same advice.

objectively test tripods to see how they actually perform
The best way to test a tripod is to take pictures, which Alex has done.

The lack of failure cases actually made it harder for me to determine just how good the Sirui T-025X is.
It tells you that in a set of given (and extremely varied) conditions, it performed well.

Let me be clear - your review was good. Most reviews of photo equipment are terrible. But there is room and opportunity for reviews to be great.
I will say this bluntly, but respectfully : I think it is a pretty arrogant way to talk. Writing a review is extremely involved and much more complex than what most people would guess. The reviews posted at Pentaxforums are among the most involved and detailed you will find anywhere on the web, for cameras, lenses and accessories. We spend dozens of hours performing a review, writing it, balancing our opinions with fellow reviewers, being as honest and unbiased as possible. A Photozone lens review covers 3 pages (I respect the work of these guys a lot). A Pentaxforums lens review covers usually 14-15 pages. Gear "tests" at websites like SLR Lounge are mostly hidden advertising. Here honest opinions are given, no equipment is perfect, opinions are backed by facts.

There may be more than one way to evaluate a variable, but that doesn't mean the chosen way is bad. For instance the vibration test you refer to is interesting. But just for the sake of the discussion, it does not represent a likely occurrence in the field. Periodical hits with a constant frequency will not happen unless you work next to a jackhammer. The laser tests shows you what to expect with a long and heavy lens in normal conditions. I believe it is a better tests of actual field performances.

Of course all Internet reviews have one specific flaw : they test a single sample, which prevents reviewers to evaluate sample variation and build actual statistical analysis. As an optical designer who performs equipment qualifications for a living, this irks me a lot. But since people mostly test equipment they own, or single samples provided by stores or manufacturers, it's not likely to change. It's up to you to build your own statistical evaluation by reading multiple reviews and user reports.

I realize I'm coming out strongly. This is deliberate. I always try to remain polite and to contribute to this community in a positive way. However I strongly disagree that Alex's review is "good" but not "great". I'll be happy to answer questions and give my opinion again if ever you want it, but let's keep clear of criticizing other people's work on this thread, please.

06-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It was not my intention to offend anyone, which it seems like I've done? Apologies if I have. I'll try to keep my thoughts and opinions more to myself if that's the case. I have high standards for everything including myself, and criticize myself every day in many ways, even when others say I'm doing terrific work. It's part of my personality, and I've been that way for decades. Best wishes to everyone.
01-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am resurrecting this old thread to ask a question about the Sirui T-025X tripod.

I have this tripod and like it a lot. Now I want a gimbal mount for my Sigma 150-500 zoom for birding shots. Do I need something bigger and sturdier when I add the gimbal and use the Bigma lens? I suspect so, but I want the opinions of those who use this combo (or similar) when shooting wildlife.

Many thanks,

Don
01-08-2016, 06:36 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have this tripod and like it a lot. Now I want a gimbal mount for my Sigma 150-500 zoom for birding shots. Do I need something bigger and sturdier when I add the gimbal and use the Bigma lens? I suspect so, but I want the opinions of those who use this combo (or similar) when shooting wildlife.
The tripod is strong enough to hold the Bigma, especially since likely uses cases (bird shots in your example) don't require long-time stability. Regarding the gimbal head, it would depend on the gimbal size ans weight, but I'd say it's stretching things a bit. also, the purpose of this tripod is to be extremely portable, so throwing a gimbal in the mix kind of defeats the purpose.

01-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The tripod is strong enough to hold the Bigma, especially since likely uses cases (bird shots in your example) don't require long-time stability. Regarding the gimbal head, it would depend on the gimbal size ans weight, but I'd say it's stretching things a bit. also, the purpose of this tripod is to be extremely portable, so throwing a gimbal in the mix kind of defeats the purpose.
Thanks, for your comments.

Yeah, I really suspected this to be the case. But that's okay (except I need to pony up for another tripod). When we go to birding festivals, there is really not that much walking, and most folks carry their tripod over their shoulder with the camera on the gimbal, ready to plop down and shoot.

My biggest problem will be choosing a tripod that is going to do the job without being too big - a bit of a balancing act.

Don
01-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
My biggest problem will be choosing a tripod that is going to do the job without being too big - a bit of a balancing act.
Since you don't need long exposures, a monopod might work. Or almost any tripod, really. since you plan on getting a gimbal, I'd suggest a relatively inexpensive aluminum tripod with a good maximum load.