Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard 263AB-100 or Me Foto Roadtrip Tripod

I've been mulling over these two tripods trying to decide which one to purchase. (Price is equal).Does anyone have experience with either?

The MeFoto is smaller when folded up, but I would rather purchase quality over portability.

Me Foto

VanGuard

Last edited by Driline; 04-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.
04-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

Don't own either but they're on my very short list of tripods I'm considering the other I'm considering is the Vanguard AT264.

I've seen reviews on all these tripods and I don't think you'd go wrong no matter which you end up with.
04-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Don't own either but they're on my very short list of tripods I'm considering the other I'm considering is the Vanguard AT264.

I've seen reviews on all these tripods and I don't think you'd go wrong no matter which you end up with.
You'd need a ball head with that model wouldn't you?
04-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never used or touched a Vanguard anything, but I have the MeFoto Globetrotter here and it is very, very nice for the price.

The MeFoto is a Benro Travel Angel with machined aluminum parts (and crazy colors!). That's not a bad thing, as Benro has loads of experience making tripods.

Aluminum or carbon-fiber?

04-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the Roadtrip for a little over a year. It's stable, lite, compact, quick to setup. Sometimes I bungee it to my backpack. The ballhead is good and I use it on my Primos Trigger Stick when I need a mono pod. The padded case is very nice. I would buy it again.The Sirui T-025X for a little more money is lighter, a little more compact, and gets very good reviews as well.
04-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I've never used or touched a Vanguard anything, but I have the MeFoto Globetrotter here and it is very, very nice for the price.

The MeFoto is a Benro Travel Angel with machined aluminum parts (and crazy colors!). That's not a bad thing, as Benro has loads of experience making tripods.

Aluminum or carbon-fiber?
I was looking at the Aluminum model for $179. Same price as the Vanguard.

---------- Post added 04-28-14 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mobil1 Quote
The Sirui T-025X for a little more money is lighter, a little more compact, and gets very good reviews as well.
That one is nice. Just a little short when extended though for my needs. I want at least 58" for total height to shoot the train layout.
04-29-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a Vnaguard head that I love and can vouch for their quality. Their compact tripods are really not strong however (low max load)

I have read good things about the Mefoto, their products were on my final list for a travel tripod.

However, I ended up with the Sirui T-025X and I don't regret it. Smaller when folded, lighter, heavy max load, excellent head, it really is the best-featured travel tripod around. If carbon fiber is not required, and price is an issue, they Sirui also offer an alunimum version, the T-005X.

04-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have a Vnaguard head that I love and can vouch for their quality. Their compact tripods are really not strong however (low max load)

I have read good things about the Mefoto, their products were on my final list for a travel tripod.

However, I ended up with the Sirui T-025X and I don't regret it. Smaller when folded, lighter, heavy max load, excellent head, it really is the best-featured travel tripod around. If carbon fiber is not required, and price is an issue, they Sirui also offer an alunimum version, the T-005X.
The aluminum version looks like a great model and it's 4" taller at 55" than the me foto smaller tripod. That one may just work.
04-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I was looking at the Aluminum model for $179. Same price as the Vanguard.

That one is nice. Just a little short when extended though for my needs. I want at least 58" for total height to shoot the train layout.
Oh, in that case, look at the new Sirui ET-series tripods. They are flip-lock instead of twist lock (cheaper to manufacture, but just as good as all the Manfrotto tripods that use them), and are taller and more stable than the T-005x. Fairly compact as well...

Am I just pulling all of this out of my behind by looking at specs?

Uh, no.
That's only half of the tripods I'm currently reviewing... and the Sirui ET-1204 is in the other pile.
04-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, in that case, look at the new Sirui ET-series tripods. They are flip-lock instead of twist lock (cheaper to manufacture, but just as good as all the Manfrotto tripods that use them), and are taller and more stable than the T-005x. Fairly compact as well...

Am I just pulling all of this out of my behind by looking at specs?

Uh, no.
That's only half of the tripods I'm currently reviewing... and the Sirui ET-1204 is in the other pile.
Ok, now the ET 2004 looks even better. A bit taller at 57" and folds up nicely at 17". How did you come by to review all of those tripods?
04-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

One thing to remember regarding maximum height is that you need to add the height of the camea itself when figuring out what you need. also, it's rare that you will use a tripod at its maximum extension. Carbon is more stable than aluminum in this situation, but still for long exposuresyou'll end up with some movement.
04-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
One thing to remember regarding maximum height is that you need to add the height of the camea itself when figuring out what you need. also, it's rare that you will use a tripod at its maximum extension. Carbon is more stable than aluminum in this situation, but still for long exposuresyou'll end up with some movement.
I've got 2 el cheapo tripods right now. One is 57" which is perfect for my height. The other one too short at 49.5". One is a 30 year old K-mart focal tripod, while the other is a more recent promaster purchase which is still crap. I'll use them for light stands.
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Ok, now the ET 2004 looks even better. A bit taller at 57" and folds up nicely at 17". How did you come by to review all of those tripods?
I do accessory reviews for this other site. They like it when I do 10 at a time.

In any case, the ET-2004 is a good choice as an all-around tripod. You can see the Sirui T2005x in that snowy photo, and it has the same aluminum leg tubes and spider (where the legs connect) as the ET2004 does, but shorter leg sections and twist locks... oh, and no ball head is included with the T2005, so I asked for a G20x to go with it. Nice head, but I actually prefer the one that came with the ET.
04-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do accessory reviews for this other site. They like it when I do 10 at a time.

In any case, the ET-2004 is a good choice as an all-around tripod. You can see the Sirui T2005x in that snowy photo, and it has the same aluminum leg tubes and spider (where the legs connect) as the ET2004 does, but shorter leg sections and twist locks... oh, and no ball head is included with the T2005, so I asked for a G20x to go with it. Nice head, but I actually prefer the one that came with the ET.
I'm watching a tripod on fleabay for $169.99 It includes a Sirui tripod N-2004 along with a sunwayfoto FB-36 ballhead. Together these should cost $327. I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on that?
04-29-2014, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok .....decision time. I've spent hours poring over tripods, bipods and arachnopods. Aluminum, carbon and cardboard........my head is spinning I've decided to go with this combination unit at Adorama for $267.90 The SIRUI T-2005X 5 tripod along with the SIRUI K-20X 38mm Ballhead. This combo gives me the required height along with a lightweight compact package. I figure I've got about $5,000 wrapped up in camera gear, I might as well purchase a decent tripod.

Thanks for all of your input. It did help me decide in the end....