Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Yongnuo RF 603 N and Metz 52 AF 1

Hi,

I recently bought the Yongnuo RF-603 N and on testing it does not trigger the Metz 52 AF flashgun. Is it me doing something wron or are these not compatible. Camera is a Kr. BTW I can see the red light on the flash transceiver which I understand means the signal is being received.

I am stuck. Help please.

TJ

04-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um, I'm no expert (ask Class A or another flash-maven), but I thought the RF-603 C (for Canon, not Nikon) is the transceiver that works with Pentax. No idea why, as they both have single pin firing... but that's what I've read.

EDIT: nevermind, they should all work to trigger a flash, it's just which shutter relase cable that comes with them - see Thoog's review here.

Does the indicator light on the trigger on top of the camera light up consistently? Does it light up when you shoot at 1/180 or less? (Pentax cameras won't trigger the flash hotshoe unless your shutter speed is within their sync range...)

Next, is the flash in Manual Power mode? Won't work if it's waiting for a P-TTL signal from a camera body...

Last edited by panoguy; 04-29-2014 at 12:36 PM.
04-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Um, I'm no expert (ask Class A or another flash-maven), but I thought the RF-603 C (for Canon, not Nikon) is the transceiver that works with Pentax. No idea why, as they both have single pin firing... but that's what I've read.

EDIT: nevermind, they should all work to trigger a flash, it's just which shutter relase cable that comes with them - see Thoog's review here.

Does the indicator light on the trigger on top of the camera light up consistently? Does it light up when you shoot at 1/180 or less? (Pentax cameras won't trigger the flash hotshoe unless your shutter speed is within their sync range...)

Next, is the flash in Manual Power mode? Won't work if it's waiting for a P-TTL signal from a camera body...
Hi panoguy I got it to work but I had to set the drive mode on my Kr to remote. Not sure if this shoukd be the case but I am afraid that's the only way I can get it to work for now. Thank you for your response. It was very helpful
04-29-2014, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@panoguy - three of the four versions work on Pentax: the RF-603N, RF-603N II, and RF-603C II. The first-version RF-603C is the only one that doesn't work. The transceiver uses the "digital" pin to auto-detect if a camera is present and go into transmit (TX) mode. The auto-detect was a nice idea, but it didn't have non-Canikon users in mind. The RF-603N II and C II have a switch to force them into TX mode.

@tunjij - I've shot my RF-603s on a K-r without having to play with the drive mode. What shutter speed were you using? I don't have a Metz flash to test, but if you can get it to work at all, I ~think~ that rules it out as the problem.

Last edited by THoog; 04-29-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: clarity?
04-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
@panoguy - three of the four versions work on Pentax: the RF-603N, RF-603N II, and RF-603C II. The first-version RF-603C is the only one that doesn't work. The transceiver uses the "digital" pin to auto-detect if a camera is present and go into transmit (TX) mode. The auto-detect was a nice idea, but it didn't have non-Canikon users in mind. The RF-603 II versions have a switch position to force them into TX mode.

@tunij - I've shot my RF-603s on a K-r without having to play with the drive mode. What shutter speed were you using? I don't have a Metz flash to test, but if you can get it to work at all, I ~think~ that rules it out as the problem.
Hi THoog,

Thank you. I was being impatient. I did not even check my shutter speed I just assumed it would set max sync speed same as when I have the flashgun on camera. Finally got it to work though on normal (single shot) drive mode. Works beautifully.