Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #1

Safe to carry in one strap mount eyelet

Does anybody know if it's safe to attach a sling strap to one of the strap mount eyelets? Is it strong enough to carry the weight of a camera with a heavier lens (such as 70-300mm)?

05-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't tell for the weight but based on my personal experience, make sure to use a display protector.
05-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would be very surprised if it isn't. I use a handstrap fastened only to one side. The body is metal. Your largest concern may be the quality of the metal your snap clip is made of. Woven nylon rarely fails by fracture and you can keep an eye on it.

Try to avoid bumping into other people.
05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dislike single point of failure systems but strength wise there should not be an issue. Do keep an eye on the strap for any fraying. If it fails you have no backup.

Personally I would not think of doing that. But I'm over protective....

05-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've carried my K-5 with a strap and a heavy keychain ring through the strap lug for the last year or so. The only time I had any trouble was when I had a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 (a hefty 1.2 Kg) attached to the body; in that instance the problem was actually the swivelling clip on the strap bending, not the strap-lug built into the camera. I've since bent the clip inward a bit to stop the problem from reoccurring. It works perfectly fine with my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 (0.77 Kg) attached.

Looking at the clip in the picture, I think you're using the same one as I am. Is yours a 'lensloop' brand strap?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-I757M  Photo 
05-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

For a single-point attachment, I would be more comfortable using the tripod socket. Think BlackRapid R-Strap or similar...
05-01-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used a single point connection on my K-5's and K-3 with no issues for years.
For large lenses I attach to the tripod mount of the lens rather than the camera so as not to stress the camera lens mount.
I use the Optech USA strap system with a uniloop on the left camera lug only.
(The right lug is used to attach a hand strap.)
OP/TECH USA Uni Loop System Connector

Last edited by crewl1; 05-01-2014 at 02:18 PM.
05-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used the Black Rapid strap for a few years and never had a problem. I do periodically check that it is tight by habit. A double point strap can break too. If either point breaks on a normal strap like the one included with Pentax cameras, the camera weight will pull the strap around your neck and fall to the ground. Any camera strap could fail.
05-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bonaprof Quote
A double point strap can break too. If either point breaks on a normal strap like the one included with Pentax cameras, the camera weight will pull the strap around your neck and fall to the ground. Any camera strap could fail.
Very true, but a 'normal' camera strap distributes the weight more or less evenly between two contact points so that each is only bearing half the total weight.
05-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

It's what I do as well. I've fashioned my own version of the BlackRapid and I use a couple of carabiners as part of that assembly. I'd ideally like to have a stainless steel flexible tether as "backup" to the other eyelet although that still doesn't prevent the strap itself breaking / being cut.
05-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for helping out. The Optech sling strap indicates that one eyelet is strong enough to carry the camera.
05-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I carry my K-3 with a Sigma 100-300 f4 with the Op Tech sling adapter with no problems. I have a black rapid where the tripod mount came loose less than a half hr after tightening which caused me to spend $250.00 to repair my camera. I prefer the strap mount of the Op-Tech as the nylon will show wear before failure.
Joe