77mm threaded filters 116.67%
Cokin P system 466.67%
Other 116.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Filters: 77mm round vs Cokin P system

I already have a CPL filter but want to start building a filter collection of neutral density filters. My main objective for ND is smoothing water and removing (or at least decreasing) bystanders in architectural images. Secondary use would be a graduated ND for darkening bright skies because CPL doesn't work well at wide angles. I like experimenting and will likely find additional uses for the filters.

The ND filters would be used primarily on my DA* 16-50. 77mm filter size. I can use stepper rings to fit 77mm filters onto smaller lenses. The Cokin P system is theoretically more versatile but is also much bulkier on the camera as well as stored in my camera bag.

Comments appreciated.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 05-02-2014 at 08:29 AM.
05-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both...and a lot of smaller diameter CPLs as well. I like the Cokin P system particularly for graduated ND filters. Yes, they can be a bit of a pain to use, yes, the can get scratched, and yes, they aren't as optically pure as glass, but they are quite good. I keep a soft pack of 6 Cokin filters plus mounts and filter holder in my camera bag all of the time. It's really not a problem to carry them around. My only issue with them is that they do tend to flare a bit when shooting directly into the sun. Some day, I hope to get a variable (like 1-10) ND glass filter of some diameter or just a really dark one to use but the Cokin's have served me well over the past four years.
05-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use Cokin P gradated ND's - one size fits my lenses with 62, 67 and 77 mm threads. The standard holder does vignette on extreme wide angles (below about 14mm though
The filters are quite fragile and can get scratched but the versatility makes up for it!
05-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Lee's filter system for panoramic images and wide angle shots. I had the cokin p set up until about 3 years ago and gave them all away recently, cokins used to leave a slight colorcast on my images but it was no bikkies as it was easy to fix in post.
The lee foundation holder can also accept a ring for 105 mm circular polariser should you need to use one. I used the Lee foundation holder with cir polariser regularly on DA 12-24 at 12 mm for landscape withough vigneting and results are quite Pleasing.I ticked "other" in your pole . you're more than welcome to PM me if you have any questions and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

05-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing about screw-in filters is, well, you have to screw them in. If you have live view this isn't much of an issue, but if not you have to focus and compose first, then attach the filter(s) (if you're using more than a couple of stops worth of ND). A pain if you decide to re-compose. And of course a screw-in GND is more limited than a Cokin type.
05-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

I'm looking at a ring filter for this very reason.. I took my cokin P filters and adapters out this weekend and discovered under I think 14 or 12 mm (with a 10-20 lens) the filter holder is in view on each side. With the 16-50 I can strangely see the right side of the filter holder at 16mm. In any case, this is not satisfactory for my needs since I was looking to get a big stopper or the sort.. very dark ndf.. originally thinking in Cokin P format but now rethinking this.

I was wondering how the step down rings work.. lets say I get a 77mm NDF and want to use it on a lens that accepts 49mm filters. It seems I'd have a lot of rings in front of the filter and thus I an wondering if they would be in view.. that or buy a ton of single filters 77-62 77-58 77-49 which seems way more reasonable if not costly hehe

That is the beauty of the Cokin system.. the filter requires no step downs since it is a giant plate of 'glass' in front of the lens and not a threaded ring. Maybe should just go for a Z serires setup?

Last edited by mee; 05-25-2015 at 10:29 AM.