Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Which of these 2 backpacks?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Already have a lowepro event messenger 150 when im travelling light but i need a bigger backpack for travelling abroad. Cant decide between these 2 : 1)Lowepro flipside 400AW and 2)Vanguard up-rise II 45. Read some reviews on the lowepro how the chest strap becomes loose occassionally but dont know if its true. Which of the 2 is better quality wise and more convenient?

05-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Lowepro 400AW is a nice pack and I like the access. But I don't like using the 400AW as an all-day pack. The harness system is not as good as a real backpack's. It's great for carrying gear to a destination and putting it down. For all day, not so much.
05-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Take a look at the Lower Pro Photo Sport models.

http://www.lowepro.com/photosport

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-08-2014 at 01:20 PM.
05-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've never owned the Vanguard bag but I have had the Lowepro for a few years now and have never had an issue with it. My cheststrap has never come loose and I have worn it all day multiple times without a problem. The straps are cushioned well and the bag itself holds a ton of gear. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this bag again if I had too.

05-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i would like something that is convenient to open and close in order to switch lenses etc.. must have a tripod holder too.nothing too big and heavy. thats why I narrowed it down to those 2.
initially i was also considering the lowepro flipside sport 15L AW and the pro runner 300 AW. the photo sport seems kind of bulky to me.
the links attached are of the products.might make a decision today since the vanguard bag is at 20% off and deal finishes today

Vanguard - Vanguard ? Photo-Video - Tripods, Camera Bags, Cases, Optics, Binoculars
Lowepro 400 AW - Flipside 400 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
Lowepro Flipside 15L (in blue) - Flipside Sport 15L AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW - Pro Runner 300 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases
05-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok its either the Lowepro 400 AW or the Flipside 15L. I kind of like how the camera compartment side is up against your back protecting against theft. Will definitely need that in crowded cities.

Just one more thing. Are you guys aware of any fake Lowepro bags out there? Because there seems to be really cheap bags on ebay i.e.
Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Photo Bag Digita SLR Camera Backpack & Rain Cover | eBay

I know the price is like 1.5x more
05-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

all brands have fakes out there. And even if you buy from a known store, there isn't a 100% guarantee that it will not be a fake (chances are less ofcourse). But very cheap bags new from e-bay should be bought with caution.

and I do not know how much gear you will be carrying, but the flipside400 is a rather big bag too. personally I would go for the flipside sport 15L. or rather even for the 20L because that has a padded waistband. and the 20L is the same size (bit smaller) than the flipside 400. the 15L is really smaller in dimension.

But have you also given though on f-stopgear? Mountain - Products
Also back-opening systems, and you can personalize them to the amount of gear you plan to carry.

05-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
all brands have fakes out there. And even if you buy from a known store, there isn't a 100% guarantee that it will not be a fake (chances are less ofcourse). But very cheap bags new from e-bay should be bought with caution.

and I do not know how much gear you will be carrying, but the flipside400 is a rather big bag too. personally I would go for the flipside sport 15L. or rather even for the 20L because that has a padded waistband. and the 20L is the same size (bit smaller) than the flipside 400. the 15L is really smaller in dimension.

But have you also given though on f-stopgear? Mountain - Products
Also back-opening systems, and you can personalize them to the amount of gear you plan to carry.
the f-stop are slightly out of my budget actually. my stuff can be seen in my sig, add a flash,triggers,couple of filters and a blower. its actually a bit hard to tell if the size is right if you dont see it in a shop.
the only thing that can change is perhaps a future body replacement i.e. k-3 w grip. the amount of lenses that would go in there would probably stay the same (4-5).
05-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Ok its either the Lowepro 400 AW or the Flipside 15L. I kind of like how the camera compartment side is up against your back protecting against theft. Will definitely need that in crowded cities.

Just one more thing. Are you guys aware of any fake Lowepro bags out there? Because there seems to be really cheap bags on ebay i.e.
Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Photo Bag Digita SLR Camera Backpack & Rain Cover | eBay

I know the price is like 1.5x more
Bought one and within 30 days and about 8" of the fabric shredded away from the zipper.
05-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Bought one and within 30 days and about 8" of the fabric shredded away from the zipper.
thought so
i checked the negative feedback of that seller and some people complained about the bags being fake. will probably order it from a lowepro dealer then.that way i know im getting the real thing.
maybe thats why some people complain about the straps becoming loose etc...
05-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

IMO no backpack is as convenient as a good shoulder bag. I've also got a LowePro Stealth Reporter D400 AW. One of the first bags I bought and still one of the best. The boxy shape is great - thin messenger style bags fall over when you set them down. And the combination of clips and zippers will slow down a pickpocket.

But it's a bit bulky for crowded markets and bazaars and you're shoulder will ache at the end of the day if you load it up. But when I'm doing photojournalist style shooting - fast lens changes, quick access to batteries, filters, etc…, everything within reach - the classic bags still can't be beat.
05-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ended up buying the flipside 400 AW. i definitely wanted the safety that a flipside provided so it was either the 400 or the flipside sport 15L (or 20L). ended up getting the 400 since it is bigger and you can never have a bag that is too big. I mean there will always be stuff being added to it. i do have the much smaller lowepro messenger 150 for travelling lighter anyway. just hope i made the right choice.