Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are Cheap, "Universal" L-Plates from eBay Adequate?

Today's striking photo postings on the DA 15 Limited thread motivate me to ask if those under $30 "ARCA-compatible" L-plates for DSLR's listed on eBay are any kind of sufficient substitute for RRS and Markins, et.al.? In my case, there are no monster lenses involved -- my Nikkor 100-300mm/5.6 and Tokina 100-300mm/4 are my largest (I might extend these with a teleconverter on occasion). I'm looking at the ARCA Swiss p0, or a cheaper Sunway + accessories alternative for a lightweight, but strong, tripod ball head, BTW. Thanks, Pentaxians!

05-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The mani interest of a dedicated L plate is that it can have a small shoulder to hug the body of the camera. Otherwise, an L plate is a piece of metal with some sort of friction grip and a screw...

I have a cheap eBay arca-swiss plate (not L) that is mounted permanently on my 60-250's foot. It's just as well-made as a brand-name plate. No differences.