Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mefoto monopod

Any one heard of this brand monopod? I was looking in KEH today for a monopod, and saw these. I've never heard of this brand and wondered if any one else has heard of them. If you have, could you give me your impression of them?

06-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've heard of the brand but have never used any of their stuff. Sorry.
06-07-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MeFoto is made by Benro. I have their RoadTrip tripod. It can be converted to a monopod simply by removing one of it's legs, the center column, and the ball head. A nice feature but I don't use it that way much. I like the tripod as it's compact, solid, easy to setup, and has a nice case w/shoulder strap. As a monopod it's lightweight, easy to adjust and solid if you don't extend the last section. For a monopod I use a Primos(hunting/rifle) monopod called a "Trigger Stick". I unscrew the "v" rest from the head and put the ballhead(uses Arca Swiss style quick release plates) from my RoadTrip on it. Same threads. Very quick height adjustment. Mades a nice walking/hiking staff IF you don't depend on it to support your body weight.
06-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 MeFoto tripods and I like them. Fold up very compact for travelling and I've found them well made and sturdy enough. Never tried the monopod conversion.

06-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the road trip as well. Love that one leg becomes a monopod.
It folds up small enough to fit inside my standard non-camera backpack.
I bring my old grubby backpack on trips so no one knows I have camera gear in it.

Honestly, the Mefoto is not the sturdiest tripod you can get. But even though that it not its intent, it is no cheap flimsy piece of crap, either.
I am quite surprised at the build quality for the price. I use it much more often now than my heavier tripod.
06-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've used the MeFoto Globetrotter (thicker legs and bigger than the Walkabout/ Roadtrip) and it is not cheap feeling at all. Actually better built than Benro's Travel Angel 2 (which uses many of the same parts). However, the Walkabout monopod is aluminum legged only, and at that price you'd be better off getting the full Roadtrip, or maybe one of the carbon-fiber monopods from Sirui or Benro.
06-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. But I think I will stick with my usual brand, that being Manfrotto/Bogen. I just never heard of the mefoto brand and wondered what they were. I have two tripods, both Manfrotto/Bogen.