Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2014, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard Alta Pro 283 CB 100 Tripod W/SBH 100 Ballhead

My old Slik U212 died. It needed to be replaced anyway as it just did not support my big lenses all that well. So for the past few days I have been looking at tripods that will work well with my heavier lenses and came across the Vanguard Alta Pro 283 CB 100 tripod withe the SBH 100 ballhead. Reading reviews etc I decided that this was what I wanted. So I'm looking at it and my lovely wife of almost 38 years says, "I'll get it for you for Father's Day".

So I just pulled the trigger on it and it should be here from B&H next Tuesday. Knowing them they will beat their estimated delivery date. It seems to be a pretty good value for the money and what reviews I could find on it were all positive. In any event it will be far better than what I had.

Anyone here have any experience with these?

When I started doing the order my wife said "How much"? I said "$1,400". She said "But you said it was $350". I said "Yeah, but I am adding a Sigma 150 to 500 mm lens to the order since you are in such a generous mood tonight". Well that got me "the look" so I guess I will have to lust after that lens for awhile longer.

06-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good try even if she didn't appreciate it, we do!
I picked up the deal a month ago on the 263, and I haven't used it much but it can really do anything I can think of for a tripod/head to do. It can do several that I hadn't thought of in fact - I confess I've never owned anything more than the basic tripod in the past. Lesson learned!
06-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have the AL version of the legs with a different head. It's a nice tripod. The articulating center column helps get angles/positions that you can't otherwise get. You may not need this feature 98% of the time, and it acts like a normal tripod 98% of the time, but you'll really appreciate that 2%
06-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the pistol grip ballhead from Vanguard, which is really nice, the trigger controls the shutter. It's well designed, I haven't put anything super-heavy on it yet. It's mounted on an older Manfrotto tripod.

06-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the 263 with SBH 100. Love everything about it, except the weight. After much comparison, it was the only tripod that came close to what I wanted overall.

The ballhead is good, but I would have liked the BBH 50 instead. However, for the price I paid a couple years back, I will not complain

This setup holds the DA*300 and K3 with no issues.