Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yongnuo flash

Hi
I am planning to buy YN 560 III flash. This has the inbuilt receiver. I am looking to get a transmitter to trigger this flash from my Pentax Kr. Which model of the yongnuo work with my Kr and YN560?
If I buy yn560 II and cactus triggers which model will work for my Kr?

06-17-2014, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you get the YN-560III, the following YongNuo triggers will work:

RF-603N (Nikon)
RF-603N II (Nikon 2nd version)
RF-603C II (Canon 2nd version)

But NOT the RF-603C (Canon 1st version). You may see sets sold as N1, N2, or N3 - this indicates which remote shutter cable comes with the set, which doesn't matter for the K-r because it does not have a remote shutter socket. There is also the RF-602 - I do not recommend it because it requires a special battery and some PF members have had problems with it at 1/180.

The YN560-TX trigger with remote power control has been announced, but no one knows how much it will cost or when it will be available. EDIT: Available since July 2014, around US$50.

For the YN-560 II, either the Cactus v5 or v6 should work, but @Class_A knows more about them than I do.

Last edited by THoog; 07-20-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Updated info on YN560-TX
06-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks @THoog those were very useful info and detailed. Thanks for your time.
I will see what @Class_A says... if he happens to check this.
06-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Lots of useful information from @THoog already.

I believe the YN560-III can also be triggered by RF602 triggers, but whatever trigger you decide for, make sure that the trigger supports the 1/180s sync-speed of your camera. Some Yongnuo trigger models don't support beyond 1/125s without tricks (e.g., half-pressing the test button on the transmitter).

I think the RF603 models addressed this issue, but I'm not 100% sure.

The YN560-TX trigger is the only one that can remote-control the power level of the YN560-III. It is currently being sold at >$100 but people expect this price to come down once it becomes available from Yongnuo directly.

I would encourage you to invest into a solution that supports remote control of power levels. This feature is an incredible time saver.

The V6 supports almost any legacy-TTL flash and a number of digital TTL flashes. The YN560-III will most likely never be supported because its radio module is incompatible with the Cactus system and otherwise it is just a single-pin firing flash, i.e., it doesn't offer an alternative way to control its power levels (unlike the Yongnuo YN568EX).

BTW, a Cactus V6 would probably be overkill for a YN560-II (or YN560-III), as it couldn't control the power. The V6's group control is much better than the very rudimentary group support of the V5, but I'm not sure it would be worth spending $55 per V6 for just that.

Last edited by Class A; 06-18-2014 at 05:26 AM.
06-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Cloud A very useful info there. I have placed my order for a yn-560 III but in decided on the trigger. Maybe I will wait for the price drop off the 560tx.
08-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If you get the YN-560III, the following YongNuo triggers will work:....
The YN560-TX trigger with remote power control has been announced, but no one knows how much it will cost or when it will be available. EDIT: Available since July 2014, around US$50.....
Thanks @THoog for the the update on availability. Do you know the best source where it is available at a competitive and trustworthy site?
do they have this for different bodies like Canon, Nikon and others.
S
08-04-2014, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right now, it looks like eBay seems to be the only place that has it consistently. I believe "hkyongnuophotoequipment" is YongNuo's own eBay store. There are a number of sellers that are a little cheaper, but many appear to be one seller with different eBay IDs, all located in Shen Zhen instead of Hong Kong, and with lower feedback than YongNuo.

There are Canon and Nikon versions of the YN560-TX. The difference appears to be the ability to 'wake' the flash from the camera. Based on what we've seen with the RF-603, I would expect the Nikon version to work better with Pentax in this regard. There is one user review of the YN560-TX (Nikon version) in the forum review database, so that version appears to work.

Last edited by THoog; 08-04-2014 at 12:55 PM.
08-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Right now, it looks like eBay seems to be the only place that has it consistently. I believe "hkyongnuophotoequipment" is YongNuo's own eBay store. There are a number of sellers that are a little cheaper, but many appear to be one seller with different eBay IDs, all located in Shen Zhen instead of Hong Kong, and with lower feedback than YongNuo.

There are Canon and Nikon versions of the YN560-TX. The difference appears to be the ability to 'wake' the flash from the camera. Based on what we've seen with the RF-603, I would expect the Nikon version to work better with Pentax in this regard. There is one user review of the YN560-TX (Nikon version) in the forum review database, so that version appears to work.
thanks @THoog, I will go through the review as well.
One more quick question - Will the same version of Flash and trigger for Pentax work on Sony or Panasonic DSLR's? if you may know...

thanks once again
08-05-2014, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
thanks @THoog, I will go through the review as well.
You may also want to read the YN560-TX thread on the TruthHavoc forum. Seems there are some issues and workarounds being discussed.

Since these are real users talking, you can trust the information (unlike the main articles).
08-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You may also want to read the YN560-TX thread on the TruthHavoc forum. Seems there are some issues and workarounds being discussed.

Since these are real users talking, you can trust the information (unlike the main articles).
May thanks for sharing!
08-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Will the same version of Flash and trigger for Pentax work on Sony or Panasonic DSLR's? if you may know...
According to the YN560-TX manual (available at the YongNuo website), it should work with "non-dedicated" bodies, just without the ability to wake the YN560 III flash if it goes to sleep (sleep mode can be disabled on the flash). I would expect to work with Sony or Panasonic if it works with Pentax. You would need a hotshoe adapter on Sony bodies that don't have a standard hotshoe.