Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

A tale of 2 CPL filters (Hoya vs B+W)

This is intended to help others avoid a product return I experienced. To make a long story short, do not buy the B+W MRC circular polarizer due to quality control issues (4 out of 4 filters I tested were optically good but mechanically bad). Try the Hoya HMC Multi-Coated circular polarizer instead. Links provided below.

I needed a 77mm circular polarizer for landscape and architecture photos with my DA* 16-50 lens. I wanted something of good quality but didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount. B+W is a reputable filter company with reasonable prices. The above B+W filter had an overwhelming number of good reviews. A small number of reviewers commented that the B+W polarizer adjustment didn't rotate smoothly but I chalked that up to manufacturing tolerances.

I purchased the B+W filter at B&H. The filter threaded onto my lens well but I had the rotational adjustment problem when adjusting the polarizing effect. Approximately 90 degrees of the rotation was smooth, but the remaining 270 degrees was far too tight, so tight that I couldn't rotate the filter through the filter window in the hood. I had to remove the hood in order to grip the filter tightly enough to adjust it.

The tightness makes the B+W filter very impractical to use. A CPL needs adjustment every time the lens is pointed in a new direction relative to the sun. Each time, I had to remove the hood, adjust the filter, then attach the hood again. Similar steps were needed if I flipped the camera from landscape to portrait. 3 more filters from B&H stock had similar problems.

I then tried a Hoya filter at around the same $110 price point. It turned very easily and smoothly through the full 360 degrees. Photos with the 16-50 look very good with several stops of darkening for blue sky, water reflections, etc. I recommend the Hoya filter.

I provide B&H links here because that's who I used but the above info probably applies to other dealers:
Avoid this B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer MRC Filter 66-044844 B&H Photo Video
Buy this Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass A77CRPL

06-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is surprising. B+W filters are usually of the highest build quality. I suppose any manufacturer can have a bad production run, but QC should have caught it.

While we're on the subject of 'things not to buy from B&H", you should definitely avoid these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554309-REG/Manfrotto_380_380_Tripod_Leg_Protectors.html

I wrote up a review with more detail on the B&H site, but bottom line: they don't fit the tripods listed as compatible, despite being from the same (well respected) manufacturer.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-20-2014 at 02:17 PM.
06-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, very disappointing. I've had good luck with B+W in the past but something like that should not get past QC, especially on a $100 filter.
06-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got quite a few B + W filters that I've had for several years and they're all fine. I switched to Marumi a while back, though, and have never looked back. Just can't beat 'em for anywhere near the price. Just stick to their top-line products. I only buy another brand now if Marumi doesn't offer exactly what I need.

06-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

+1 for Marumi Super DHG filters!
06-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I've had a similar problems with my 49mm B+W CPLs where the force require to rotate them is very inconsistent. I've been tempted to send them back to see if they can be fixed. My 49mm Hoya CPL turns much more smoothly, but would frequently get stuck on the lenses (aluminum threads) which I found to be a worse problem.
06-24-2014, 02:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
+1 for Marumi Super DHG filters!
+2 for Marumi Super DHG filters.
My first Marumi filter was a 77mm circular polarizer and since then I will always look for a Marumi filter before anything else.
They are optically brilliant, great build quality and are probably the best value for money quality filters.

Glenn

06-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

Both my B+W cpl filters are very smooth to adjust. Sometimes they might give me problems to adjust through the tiny opening on the hood, maybe due to sausage fingers or it's just that I put too much pressure so it jams itself on the opposite side. (friction)

I'm happy with them.
07-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+3 for Marumi Super DHG filters.
07-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

+4 for Marumi Super DHG filters.

MARUMI FOR PRESIDENT!
07-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I've got quite a few B + W filters that I've had for several years and they're all fine. I switched to Marumi a while back, though, and have never looked back. Just can't beat 'em for anywhere near the price. Just stick to their top-line products. I only buy another brand now if Marumi doesn't offer exactly what I need.
Same here, once I discovered Marumi (Super DHG models) I have been a very happy camper. I just ordered my first EXUS model Marumi.

Previously I had Hoya MRC Pro1 or some such moniker (near impossible to keep clean) and a B+W. No real complaints on the B+W other than price and even they weren't the easiest to clean. With Marumi cleaning is so fast, consistent and I find I liked the subtle warming of the Super DHG. I think the EXUS is said to be very neutral, which I do need most of the time, I can warm a shot in post, right? Of course vice-a-versa as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
{snip}
I needed a 77mm circular polarizer for landscape and architecture photos with my DA* 16-50 lens. I wanted something of good quality but didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount. B+W is a reputable filter company with reasonable prices. The above B+W filter had an overwhelming number of good reviews. A small number of reviewers commented that the B+W polarizer adjustment didn't rotate smoothly but I chalked that up to manufacturing tolerances.

I purchased the B+W filter at B&H. The filter threaded onto my lens well but I had the rotational adjustment problem when adjusting the polarizing effect. Approximately 90 degrees of the rotation was smooth, but the remaining 270 degrees was far too tight, so tight that I couldn't rotate the filter through the filter window in the hood. I had to remove the hood in order to grip the filter tightly enough to adjust it.

The tightness makes the B+W filter very impractical to use. A CPL needs adjustment every time the lens is pointed in a new direction relative to the sun. Each time, I had to remove the hood, adjust the filter, then attach the hood again. Similar steps were needed if I flipped the camera from landscape to portrait. 3 more filters from B&H stock had similar problems.
I also went and bought a set of collapsible rubber hoods for my lenses. Sure they don't offer the protection of a rigid hood but they also screw into the thread on my filters, in the case of a CPL I can rotate the filter w/o need to remove the hood.

The hoods are actually pretty good. I use a size or two larger thread to cover multiple filter thread diameters. For example on 49-58mm I use a hood with a 58mm thread diameter. And for the remainder I use an 82mm thread diameter hood to give me room to grow plus I feel the larger hoods still give me protection from glare but less chances of increased vignetting (never tested this in earnest though, not enough heartbeats in the day to worry spend the time...then again I seem to have time to visit here, right?)

Last edited by snipenekkid; 07-16-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added info