Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I like the BlackRapid but in general the Cotton Carrier have worked better for me. I thought an alternative would be good too The big thing for me over the Blackrapid was that there's a tether so if the tripod mount attachment fails for some reason, the camera is spared from a freefall.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cotton+carrier&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa...te%3B550%3B828

You can buy a discounted version in the "discount den", which is pretty substantial savings

06-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Blackrapid Yeti (2 camera).

I didn't realise how much I needed it until I tried it.
it's now my main strap and it's great.
06-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I used the black rapid for a while. If you have a body with a lens it works fine, if you want a bit more it falls apart.

Be careful with the lug that screws into the body. I will loosen and you will drop the camera.

I shoot long or from a tripod most of the time and found the lug on the bottom to be a nuisance. By design you take the strap off the camera before putting it on the tripod, which seemed to me quite unstable and not very useful if you want to carry the camera and tripod.

I recently got the Peak Design leash and cuff, as well as the clip. It is far more flexible, I can clip onto the body lugs, the arca swiss plate on the bottom of the body, the lens mount on my long lenses, in any combination. I found that I never have a camera body without a strap, and it never gets in the way of how I want to shoot. I'm very impressed so far.
06-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
shoot long or from a tripod most of the time and found the lug on the bottom to be a nuisance. By design you take the strap off the camera before putting it on the tripod, which seemed to me quite unstable and not very useful if you want to carry the camera and tripod.
I agree with this.
I use the old keyring in the neck-strap lug trick so I can keep my QR plate on the camera and also use the strap when needed.
Change over time is around 2 seconds.
it's what works for me, YMMV.

06-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I agree with this.
I use the old keyring in the neck-strap lug trick so I can keep my QR plate on the camera and also use the strap when needed.
I also should have mentioned that I got the replacement screw that works with my Manfrotto quick release. I use that screw and a quick release plate on my camera all the time. I also purchased a hand strap that can easily change with the sport over the shoulder strap. I use the hand strap when I am driving and need to stop, pull off the road, and get a few snaps. I use the sport when I am on foot with my camera. It is a great combination. I agree with you that it is a bit pricey, but than so too is my K-5 IIs. It is worth the money to have that assurance of quality.
07-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I agree with this.

I'm doing the same thing. Plus I added a split ring on the other side so I can switch between my neck strap and the sling strap as needed.
07-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #22

I made my own "BlackRapid" from a yoga strap and some bag hardware I liberated from an old bag. I should probably call it BlueQuick.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XZ-1  Photo 
08-07-2014, 03:03 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
I use a sling strap because neck straps give me pain in my back and camera hitting objects every time I bend over. This sling strap uses camera's tripod socket and despite I haven't problems with it yet, I'm very concerned about it's suitability of taking a load of bouncing camera and zoom lens. And it's also good to keep tripod socket for (yeah!) mounting camera on a monopod. I am thinking of getting another "connecting point" to the camera and I I've been watching BosStrap videos that looks nice but again I'm worried (call me paranoid) about the one-lug connection. Do you think the single lug of cameras like K-5 or K-3 can take the weight of equipment without possible damage to the camera body? Anybody has positive/negative experience carrying camera all day attached just to one lug?
08-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I personally shopped around for a strap for about six months. I did not like anything I saw, including the Blackrapid. I am not a fan of using my tripod socket as a mounting point. Stumbled across Luma Labs Cinch and haven't looked back. Great for little Ltd's and perfect positioning for the DA*300. Quality is top notch.
08-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Sergey K Quote
...despite I haven't problems with it yet, I'm very concerned about it's suitability of taking a load of bouncing camera and zoom lens.
In general, the tripod socket is well attached to the main body, or even bored into the body. Here's a cutaway photo of the K-3: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/172-pentax-k-3/195675d1384943...utaway-k-3.jpg ; the tripod socket appears to have a bushing, but looks rather well attached. I don't think there is any problem with the socket bearing weight. In fact, it has to bear the full weight of a camera and lens if you shoot portrait on a tripod (and don't use an L bracket), and I've never heard of the tripod socket on a DSLR failing. Certainly I've heard the stories of BlackRapid 1/4" stud getting loose; that's the reason why I added a wing nut to my BlueQuick version above. The 1/4" stud cannot move, and is not jammed in so tight into the camera body; the wing nut and rubber washer make it quite secure.
08-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #26
Forum Member

I use a sling strap similar to the Black Rapid - Seems very sturdy. Like others, I use the Black Rapid screw on my tripod plate so I don't have to remove the plate to use my sling strap. All of that being said, I am a little unsure about the concept of having one failure point that I can't inspect fully (Where the hook runs through the rectangle piece that goes around the strap). I check my screw regularly and have never had it loosen, I'm not worried about the tripod socket, the weakest point to me seems to be the actual hook and where it attaches.

My ideal configuration would have TWO hooks that are independent of each other attached to the camera somehow, maybe one on the tripod socket and one on 1 of the original OEM strap connections which should still allow the camera to hang sideways. I would like each of those points to have their own quick disconnect that individually wrap around the sling strap...

I have not found this product yet...
08-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nkull Quote
I use a sling strap similar to the Black Rapid - Seems very sturdy. Like others, I use the Black Rapid screw on my tripod plate so I don't have to remove the plate to use my sling strap. All of that being said, I am a little unsure about the concept of having one failure point that I can't inspect fully (Where the hook runs through the rectangle piece that goes around the strap). I check my screw regularly and have never had it loosen, I'm not worried about the tripod socket, the weakest point to me seems to be the actual hook and where it attaches.

My ideal configuration would have TWO hooks that are independent of each other attached to the camera somehow, maybe one on the tripod socket and one on 1 of the original OEM strap connections which should still allow the camera to hang sideways. I would like each of those points to have their own quick disconnect that individually wrap around the sling strap...

Luma Labs Cinch. That's how I can have mine set up, but I actually prefer using both OEM lugs.
08-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #28
Forum Member

Cinch looks interesting, I like idea behind the membrane connector, wonder how that actually impacts how secure a tripod plate would be on the camera... I don't see any quick disconnects, but I guess taking the strap off your shoulder to put on a tripod isn't the end of the world and likely makes it stronger... I do like the versatility of that particular mount, even if switching mount points looks like it would take time (i.e. switching between a camera point to to a lens point if using a longer lens)
08-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #29
Veteran Member

A bit different, but it's my favourite. I've only used blackrapids and Cotton Carrier, FWIW

Cotton Carry-Lite for 1 Camera
08-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Cinch looks interesting, I like idea behind the membrane connector, wonder how that actually impacts how secure a tripod plate would be on the camera... I don't see any quick disconnects, but I guess taking the strap off your shoulder to put on a tripod isn't the end of the world and likely makes it stronger... I do like the versatility of that particular mount, even if switching mount points looks like it would take time (i.e. switching between a camera point to to a lens point if using a longer lens)
In terms of quick releases, they scare me. Another point to fail, which I am sure it never would. I have not done it, yet, but I have seen split rings (like key rings) put on the strap then on to the camera to make it quicker to remove the strap.

I have the membrane, it stays on my DA*300 foot with mount. When I have carried it this way, I felt pretty secure about it all.

I honestly don't want to sell you out of a Blackrapid or anything else, but I love my Cinch (will probably buy their new pre-order one as well). The quality is top notch. Stitches are bang on and seems like they really care about each and every strap they make. But, I also like the looks of the blackrapid with the strap that goes across the chest as well... If I can just get past the mounting screw idea (which is probably not a problem).