Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought about getting their FastenR and strap, but the cost is way to high...
My US$10 sling setup

Black Diamond 18mm runner/60cm long (rated at 22kN)
Niteize #4 S-Biker with side lock (rated 75lbs)
1/4-20 UNC eyebolt + wing nut + locking washer + finishing washer

08-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I finally upgraded my sling strap to something I can trust more (and it's more comfortable to carry the camera too).
I used a Caden Quick Sling Strap (about $7) and OP/TECH USA System Connectors (about $6). So for $13 total I got a "system" which gives me much more confidence when I have something heavy like 80-200 f2.8 attached to the camera. I plan to replace the connection screw for a tripod quick release plate soon.
Maybe somebody could find that useful.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
08-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #33
Forum Member

I used to have a Black Rapid strap but I've recently replaced it with a Joby Pro Sling strap for the ability to quickly cinch it to keep the camera close to my body. It also comes with a tether for added safety.
08-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #34
Forum Member

I like the extra tether that they have on the Joby - I am going to add something like that I think to my BR-Like strap.

I don't worry so much about the screw where the tripod mount is coming out (I also inspect that regularly), but I do worry about the attachment point similar to that shown a couple of posts up where the "hook" meets the rectangle piece. This attachment point is something that can't really be inspected, is made up of metal on metal that can spin and wear down, is not terribly thick, would result in a very rapid and undetectable failure if it were to fail, and really seems to me the weakest point in many of these systems... I just hate relying on one point like that without any backup to catch the camera.

I am thinking maybe one of those OP/TECH system connectors might do the trick along with a second clip...

08-27-2014, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nkull Quote
I like the extra tether that they have on the Joby - I am going to add something like that I think to my BR-Like strap.

I don't worry so much about the screw where the tripod mount is coming out (I also inspect that regularly), but I do worry about the attachment point similar to that shown a couple of posts up where the "hook" meets the rectangle piece. This attachment point is something that can't really be inspected, is made up of metal on metal that can spin and wear down, is not terribly thick, would result in a very rapid and undetectable failure if it were to fail, and really seems to me the weakest point in many of these systems... I just hate relying on one point like that without any backup to catch the camera.

I am thinking maybe one of those OP/TECH system connectors might do the trick along with a second clip...

I have the BR Yeti, for two cameras, so I got the BR tether kit. I added extra rings to the camera body and got some extra carabiners so I can take them off easily when not using the strap. I also clip the tether to the connectors D-ring, although I suppose you could connect to the strap as well.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 10-15-2014 at 03:49 AM.
08-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carry double bodies with fast zooms for up to twelve hours at an all day music festival. The BlackRapid RS DR-1 has been absolutely fabulous.
09-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I added extra rings to the camera body and got some extra carabiners so I can take them off easily when not using the strap. I also clip the tether to the connectors D-ring, although I suppose you could connect to the strap as well.
That's a great idea. I may steal it! :-)

09-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
That's a great idea. I may steal it! :-)

Feel Free!!
Didn't want the tether to be dangling when I'm not using the sling strap, so I devised my own "quick release" rig, plus, I think the weakest point may well be the swivel. Never had a problem with the connector or hook loosening or opening!