Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #1

BlackRapid

Has anyone used a BlackRapid strap/sling and if so would you please comment? I'm thinking of buying the sport. Thanks

06-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
Has anyone used a BlackRapid strap/sling and if so would you please comment? I'm thinking of buying the sport. Thanks
Hi!

I have the Blackrapid Cargo, and I can highly recommend this. It works perfect for hiking and shooting during a long day.
06-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
Banned

I use the BlackRapid Classic and also their wrist strap, love them both! The wrist strap is far better than the Pentax hand strap IMHO.
06-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the sport and use it all the time. Several friends have asked me about it and went to buy it. It works well, a whole lot better than the normal neck strap. It can be tricky to put on, but you will get the solution after a few tries.

06-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have an eBay knock off version (rapid strap?) that I love. I think these are great. I hate neck straps and either use one of these or a wrist strap. Definitely get the sport as it has the piece that goes under the arm and holds it in place better.

Also I can't image the genuine item would be any better than the one I have.
06-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the BlackRapid Curve 2 1/2 years ago, it's one of the best photography purchases I've made. Previous I had a lot of neck pain and that was gone shortly after getting the BlackRapid. It's nice that you can adjust where the camera hangs, how low, straight to the side, a little to your front or back. It's easy to remove and re-attach the strap also. It's a very comfortable way to carry a camera and the wide padded shoulder strap really distributes the weight well, and it's really less conspicuous than a having a camera hanging on your chest. It's also very well made and I feel the camera is secure.

The only problem I had with it was I couldn't keep a quick release plate on the camera since the tripod screw was in use, I fixed that with an item called a Bostail, which I use when I want to keep a quick release plate on. The BlackRapid also works really well on the tripod collar of larger lenses.

I haven't tried any other sling straps so I can't compare it, but to me it was well worth the price.
06-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just bought the eBay knockoff for $8. Still not sure if I want to walk around with the 150-500 hanging off my hip. I think I'll stick with the monopod for now. But it might work well with the 55-300...

06-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Worth it, worth it, worth it, worth it!!!!!!! My best accessory purchase ever. Watch out for rivets on your jeans near the camera, though.

FYI, there are knock-offs that are cheaper. I don't know that I trust $3k on a $10 strap.

---------- Post added 06-21-14 at 08:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I couldn't keep a quick release plate on the camera since the tripod screw was in use
?

I often use a blackrapid with a manfrotto QR (that has a loop on it that I can attach the BR to).
06-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Banned

I bought the BlackRapid Curve 2 1/2 years ago, it's one of the best photography purchases I've made. Previous I had a lot of neck pain and that was gone shortly after getting the BlackRapid. It's nice that you can adjust where the camera hangs, how low, straight to the side, a little to your front or back. It's easy to remove and re-attach the strap also. It's a very comfortable way to carry a camera and the wide padded shoulder strap really distributes the weight well, and it's really less conspicuous than a having a camera hanging on your chest. It's also very well made and I feel the camera is secure.

The only problem I had with it was I couldn't keep a quick release plate on the camera since the tripod screw was in use, I fixed that with an item called a Bostail, which I use when I want to keep a quick release plate on. The BlackRapid also works really well on the tripod collar of larger lenses.
I haven't tried any other sling straps so I can't compare it, but to me it was well worth the price.

Just a quick FYI for anyone interested: BlackRapid now sells a connector which replaces the screw on quick release plates. The original screws aren't really meant to hold the weight of a camera.
06-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I used a high-quality knock-off brand that Black Rapid forced out of business due to design patent issues. Though I prefer sling straps over neck straps, I don't like sacrificing my tripod mount, especially quick release plates. I also was not totally comfortable using the tripod mount to secure the burden of the camera and lens. I typically carry a FF camera, grip, and supertelephoto lens. Due to my concerns I eventually sold the knockoff.

Now I use the much simpler BosStrap. What I like about the BosStrap is that it only attaches to the left-handed lug on the side of the camera. It is very comfortable to carry my aforementioned setup with this strap for hours.

On their site there is an interesting report of communications with Canon and Nikon about the suitability of using their tripod mounts to carry their cameras and lenses. Both companies don't recommend it. Now of course, tens of thousands of Black Rapid and knock-off customers have otherwise experiences, but I find this kind of communication valuable.

The one hack I did to the BosStrap was to replace their strap-to-body connector with a standard squeeze-style quick release from OP/Tech for $4. This allowed me to quickly decouple the camera from the strap for easier tripod use. I also can quickly snap on a standard wrist strap.

M

Last edited by Miguel; 06-22-2014 at 07:11 AM.
06-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the Sport, my wife has the Kick. JUST GET ONE! Seriously, it's one of the best accessories I've ever purchased in the past 40 years.

I do have one teeny, tiny niggle about it, and it only matters if you use a tripod frequently (like me). Since the strap screws into the tripod socket, I have to unscrew the strap to attach my quick release plate. I'm sure there's some sort of adapter out there to allow both at once, but I haven't found it yet. But, I'll gladly accept this slight inconvenience for the comfort and function of the BlackRapid strap!
06-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

I often use a blackrapid with a manfrotto QR (that has a loop on it that I can attach the BR to).
I think this is a better option than the Bostail, but I like my Induro tripod head and didn't want to replace it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Just a quick FYI for anyone interested: BlackRapid now sells a connector which replaces the screw on quick release plates. The original screws aren't really meant to hold the weight of a camera.
But they only recommend that on a Manfrotto RC2 Quick Release Plate. It looks like it would work with mine, but I'm not willing to shell out the cash unless I knew for sure.
06-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had a low cost op/tech sling strap for a long time and it's great. bought a generic strap screw for it so can quickly connect it to either the side hook, tripod socket, or both. also have their tripod strap that's great too.
06-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #14

Original Poster
I just ordered the BosStrap G3. Read reviews and it seems it make sense especially being able to keep QR tripod mount on while also have the strap...no need to switch. We'll see how it works! Thank you all for your suggestions.
06-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #15
Banned

I think this is a better option than the Bostail, but I like my Induro tripod head and didn't want to replace it.

But they only recommend that on a Manfrotto RC2 Quick Release Plate. It looks like it would work with mine, but I'm not willing to shell out the cash unless I knew for sure.

If you watch the video on their site they state a few other brands it will work with, I'd e-mail them to find out for sure. My thought is it will probably work with most higher end models, not so much with knock offs or budget models. Worth a try for those interested since the QR screws really aren't designed to hold the weight of your camera. You can always return the product if it doesn't fit. Just my .02