Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade 496RC ball head or get a gimbal?

I just a Q10 with a Q to K adapter. Pairing this with my DA* 300mm (effectively 1680mm) I realized how poorly my current ball head (a Manfrotto 496RC2) performed with long lenses - it is virtually impossible locking the ball head on target. Larry and others on the Q thread have switched to gimbals, which is probably the best solution. However, these things are BIG and EXPENSIVE. I found some cheaper solutions, like the Manfrotto 393, which probably would work quite well without spending a fortune.

However, as I researched this I started wondering whether I wouldn't be better off upgrading my 496RC2. As I thought about I usually have problems with locking/framing even with my regular camera and moderate tele lenses. So maybe I should just upgrade the ball head? I realize an expensive ball head might still not work as well as a Gimbal in some scenarios, but the Q+K solution can't really be used for BIF or similar anyway, so I think a ball head really fits my needs better.

I have no idea how much of an improvement I will see if I go to a more expensive solution like a Sirui, a Acratech or a Arca Swiss. Will it be very noticeable? (I would not know where to go and see any of these).

Will these more expensive heads work well on my 055CX? I would prefer to keep the weight to a reasonable amount, which seems to point to the Acratech.. Other Options?

Thanks for you help!

07-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gimbal!!!!
ProMediaGear Katana!

07-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Gimbal!!!!
ProMediaGear Katana!

One of those BIG and EXPENSIVE solutions it looks awesome, though!
07-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
One of those BIG and EXPENSIVE solutions it looks awesome, though!
Oh...it is soooooooooooooo awesome.

Katana Gimbal Head Review

07-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most decent shops should have a good selection of ball heads to try out.
If you switch to an Arca Swiss style you will be able to use a half gimbal on it if you decide you need a gimbal later.
Like a Promediagear Tomahawk
The ball heads I have now are a Benro B1 that holds the Tomahawk and a similar sized cheap ebay ball that I use on a car window mount.
(I paid like $30 for it. )
07-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're not going to go for a bigger lens, then maybe a small side mount type gimbal would work? Something like the Jobu Design BWG Micro Gimbal/Ballhead Adapter. An online retailer like B&H has a pretty decent selection here. Adorama also has a selection here.