Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eye piece magnifier for K200D

I had no idea that view finder magnifiers are available. It would be an ideal for focusing with manual lenses. My eyes are getting old pretty rapidly. Focusing with zoom lenses is not so bad, but with wide angle, or in dimmed light is a disaster.

Can I use vintage magnifiers for old pentax on k200D? Some of them have rectangular holder. Are they good, or is it better to look for something modern?
What magnification is the best for hypermetropia and quickly tired eyes?

07-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

You need the eyepiece magnifier M or A or later. Earlier models will not fit on the DSLR eyepiece holder. Same for Refconverters (angle finder). The Refconverter M may cutoff some of the view of the LCD information in the viewfinder. There are also third party eyepieces of varying quality. See the accessory database and reviews.
07-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As 'Not a Number' said Pentax changed the dimensions on the eyepiece frame when they introduced the DSLR range of cameras and the old ones won't fit anymore.

My eyes are getting weaker due to age and I recently purchased the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece and I love it. The magnification factor of 1.2 times doesn't sound much but it makes a big difference in use and as it's slightly deeper than the stock one it means less chance of getting your nose on the LCD screen. The O-ME53 will work on all Pentax DSLR bodies.

Here's a couple of links for it:

Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eye Piece 30150

Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup 30150 B&H Photo Video
07-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
My eyes are getting weaker due to age and I recently purchased the Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eyepiece and I love it.
I used to use this on my K-x, when I had one. It was generally helpful. I haven't used it on my K200D. Sometimes you have to move your eye slightly in order to see the settings information at the bottom of the viewfinder. But it fits and it does its job. I think I bought mine used, and only saved a small amount over the current new price (which is pretty low).

07-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all information. I checked all reviews. Now I'm thinking about what magnification will be better for my eyes, 1.2 or 1.36. Tenpa reviews look as good as O-ME53.
I do understand that magnification will require some inconvenience like vignetting, or blocking settings in viewfinder. The most important to see clear what's in focus because focus confirmation is not accurate all the time. Perhaps, I will look for x1.36.
07-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

The M and A magnifiers are 2 but they are hinged and flip up. I suppose since the Olympus angle finders for the OM-4 fit Pentax DSLRs their magnifiers would too.
08-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I ended up buying O-ME53 after finding this video:

The one thing is reading, and another thing is seeing the actual magnification in video.
I should have bought that magnifier a long time ago! It's possible to see exactly at what spot the camera focuses and to correct focusing as needed. The number of out of focus pictures is very little now. And the text on the bottom of viewfinder is much better to see.
Problem solved

08-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tenpas, for the record, are OK, and I like he KPS ones if they're still around. I put my OME-53 on my little zx-5 film camera (with smallish but (almost) full frame viewfinder) and it actually works great there.

(Also, btw, the change in sizes didn't happen with DSLRs: it happened between the K and M series of film cameras: that's likely why they're O-*ME* sized magnifiers (Could also just mean 'Magnifying eyepiece' in this case) But *some* old stuff will interchange. )