Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focusing Screen for K3

I am going to buy a focusing screen for my K3 and I wonder what to buy.

On my K10 I had an S-Type with grid from focusingscreen.com but I found that it god quite dark on lenses with F4 or slower. I see that KatzEye has the option to use OptiBrite. The drawback being that the split may disturb the spot metering on the camera? Is this true?

Anyone tested both or either of these and what are your experiences?

07-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not really what you're after, but I put a generic split screen on my K-5, against recommendations about metering, and found no difference in exposure ability.

Good luck...
07-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ArneTorp Quote
On my K10 I had an S-Type with grid from focusingscreen.com but I found that it god quite dark on lenses with F4 or slower. I see that KatzEye has the option to use OptiBrite. The drawback being that the split may disturb the spot metering on the camera? Is this true?
I have used the S-type screen on my K-3. It does darken significantly at narrower apertures. My S-type screen had the AF focus area bright lines and I removed it from my camera due to erratic metering tending towards underexposure. I have not used the KatzEye with OptiBrite on my K-3, though I did have the screen installed on my K10D. I have also used the non-OptiBrite version on the same camera. In short, the OptiBrite treatment works and is worth the extra money.

As for the effect of the split image on spot metering, this is true. Spot metering was virtually unusable on my K10D as a result. KatzEye has a table on their Web site indicating the measured meter bias on the K-7. I sent KatzEye a inquiry regarding meter behavior on the K-3. My concern was that the K-3 has a distinctly different metering sensor and that it may more sensitive to local variation in brightness than the preceding models. KatzEye responded that since Pentax did not change their stock screen with the K-3, they did no see any reason to do any testing with the K-3. Go figure. I respect the KatzEye product, but don't understand their line of reasoning in this case.

Since my S-type screen is a no-go, I will be very interested in reading the experiences of K-3 KatzEye users as they respond to your question.

Steve