Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Keeping the batteries healthy?

Hey guys, i just bought my self a pentax systems for a longer wilderness run and with my K5IIs i also, besides two decent WR lenses, 3 original batteries and a Jupio copy and i count they should be anought for all the pics, films and in camera HDRs i want to take with a quick glace at the resaults to bott.

Now i came to wonder about i keep them all healthy after this once-a-year thing. Rotatem them in the camera? But the battery time in the K5IIs is so darn good one battery will last me atleast 1 if not 2 months on "home photoes". Start timlapsing from the balcony perhaps to drain them?

That amount of spares would be a shame to have to throw away next yeah just because i was slacking.
How do you guys treat you spares? Any points and hinters appriciated

07-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charge It?

Hello SweFin, welcome to the Forum!
I generally rotate my batteries, charge the one that's in the camera and put it aside; Top off the next one (you could label them with tape, 1, 2, 3...) and put that one into the camera. When I use the grip, the one I put aside goes into the B/G. Otherwise, it goes into a small plastic bag and into the camera bag.
And don't worry about not using them quickly enough! Soon you'll be coming home with 500 shots and dead batteries, trust me. You'll be looking at additional PC storage space, bigger SD cards and ways to conserve power during use. Hint; No video, LV and minimal chimping.
JMO,
Ron
07-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello SweFin, welcome to the Forum!
I generally rotate my batteries, charge the one that's in the camera and put it aside; Top off the next one (you could label them with tape, 1, 2, 3...) and put that one into the camera. When I use the grip, the one I put aside goes into the B/G. Otherwise, it goes into a small plastic bag and into the camera bag.
And don't worry about not using them quickly enough! Soon you'll be coming home with 500 shots and dead batteries, trust me. You'll be looking at additional PC storage space, bigger SD cards and ways to conserve power during use. Hint; No video, LV and minimal chimping.

JMO,
Ron
+1 on the labeling/ marker pen: battery #1-2-3-4...... Use and charge them in sequence, even more important if you use more than 1 camera body, with the same type of batteries.
07-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the imputs, ill do just that! HDD and SD cards are already taken care of, 2x tested and trusted 64g and some 32g as backup aswell with 1T of new hdd waiting eagerly for them

07-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
welcome to the forum !

I have 3 batteries.... I did not number them but what I do once in a while, ( depends on how many pics I take), I move the camera battery to the grip, put the grip in bag as spare, and put the spare in in the camera.

This makes a rotation and seems to work ok for me.....

---------- Post added 2014-07-10 at 10:32 ----------

Also.... with the K5 grip, you can have 6 AAs for real emergencies......
07-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University