Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Attaching flash/light stand to fence railing

Hello everyone, so I have been asked to take some portrait style pictures of a couple horseback riders and their horses. These will be outside in their arena. I am wanting to use a flash or two (horseback riders say there is no problem with that). But I'm trying to figure out how the heck I am going to attach the light stand (Impact) to the metal arena railing. I was first thinking of a C clamp but I don't think I would be able to attach the stand to the standard C Clamp. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I would be able to accomplish this?

Thanks
Jim

07-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, you can always just use a rope and tie the stands to the posts.
07-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good idea, because I bought a bunch of those that are a loop and then go back through a knobby thing. That might work. I will give that a shot this afternoon and see if it is stable enough. Thanks.
07-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also use something like foam between the stand and fence to get more stability and prevent damaging the stands.

07-09-2014, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Bungee cords, ideally with balls.
07-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I did use bungee cords with the balls on the end and it worked great. I secured the stand in three places on one of the metal fence posts and attached my flashes, extended the light stand and they held up pretty well till I tried putting the umbrella on. That didn't work very well. I might have to try the little bounce/diffuser that clamps onto the flash head and see how much it softens the light. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Jim
07-12-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manfrotto Super Clamp is made for this sort of thing and not overly expensive (about $30). I have one and have used it with a ballhead and K-30 on metal railing. It will attach to about anything that fits the jaw.

07-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tom, I will look into that clamp if I start having problems with my current set up.

Thanks
Jim
07-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 for the super clamps -- great to carry in any flash kit.

M