Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #1

Can I use Canon 580EX Flash on Pentax?

I have a working Canon 580EX Sppedlite and the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2. Left over from my Canon EOS 40D camera days....I have jumped ship to Pentax, K-50 and want to know if I can use my Canon flash on the pentax K-50?

Also , is there any way to use my Canon Lens on the Pentax? I have quite a few. Are there adapters available?

I just ordered a new Pentax Q7, a moment of childish weakness, bought everything but the Toy lenses.

Can I use my K-50 dedicated flash, the AF360 on the Q7? It says it supports P-TTL....

Aloha,

Last edited by Parallax; 07-14-2014 at 05:02 AM.
07-14-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #2

You should be able to use your 580EX flash safely on the K-50 hot shoe. Modern flashes like this all use trigger voltages in the sub- 10V range and so will not damage modern cameras. I haven't used these exact items but I have used a 580EX II on a Pentax K10D without any problem. It will fire ok and sync to the shutter but any functions relating to TTL auto exposure won't work of course, because these functions are brand-dedicated. If it's the original 580EX then unfortunately you don't have the option of 'thyristor' auto either, which is an alternative method of getting automated exposure which they brought back on the mk II. So you will be stuck with manual power control unfortunately. Nevertheless, this can still be useful.

As regards using the flash off-camera and triggering with the ST-E2, I can't give you a definitive answer but I think it's unlikely to work. The mk II version at least does not have a simple optical slave mode and therefore cannot be triggered with a single infra-red pulse or flash. It's also unclear how the ST-E2 will behave when attached to a non-Canon camera - it may fire a single pulse or emit controller pulses or do nothing. In the second case it could still potentially fire your flash but whether this will be in sync with the shutter is anybody's guess. Your best bet for off-camera usage is probably a cheap set of radio triggers. If these have basic pass-through then you can have your AF360 on top of the transmitter in manual mode for fill, while your 580EX provides your main light off-camera.

Unfortunately there's no way to mount EF lenses on Pentax SLRs and maintain the ability to focus to infinity. This is because the Canon EF mount has is a shorter distance away from the sensor (flange-back distance) than the Pentax K mount. In theory it's possible to make an adapter which could be used for close-up work only but I haven't seen any around. The only other way would be to include optics in the adapter which changes the diopter of the lens, but again I haven't seen any that do this.

I can't help you on the Q question sorry. Hope you have fun with it though.
07-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! I tried it.....Seems to work okay on camera, shot pictures of the office.....
Will use it as a SLAVE with a flash slave trigger, I like to backlight flowers and leaves.

Thanks for the pointers.
07-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

I used to use the canon ST-E2 & speedlites on my Bronica Etrsi years ago. You can put the ST-E2 into manual mode (so it will fire on any hotshoe) but I can't for the life of me remember how now (as the small note I taped to the side to remind me has come off - duh!) and can't find it in the manual or online.

I remember you had to hold two buttons down for about 5-8 seconds. Does anyone else know this trick?