Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Graduated ND filters

Does anybody shoot with Graduated ND filters ? if so which ones do you use ? There are two types, the circular ones that you screw on the lens and the square ones you place in front of the lens with some type of adapter. A few years ago I purchased a rather expensive circular one, but did not like it so I sold it and purchased a set of the square ones with a Cokin P filter holder. These filters can get pretty expensive also and you need to pamper them, or they can get easily scratched. Due to their expense, mine mostly stay in my bag. I might have used them no more than 5 times since I purchased them 5 years ago.

Lately though I have been noticing that I'm losing a lot of pictures due to overblown skies, or overly dark foregrounds. With digital cameras the difference in contrast is rather brutal. Of course you can fix this in post processing, but the images do not look quite natural, unless you really know what you are doing. I don't usually shoot Nature landscape, I'm more interested in Urban landscape. I really don't want to look like 'the Man from Mars' with a square filter in front of my camera lens, but it seems I have no choice.

07-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a set of Cokin's, the 'A' size I think which is fine for my 49mm primes. As you noted they are awkward in a lot of situations except pure landscape and I do not use them much except for that. I think HDR bracketed shooting has replaced much of the need for them at least in my photography. I'm sure the true landscape photographers here might disagree with me.

Anyway, I carry my filter bag when I'm going to shoot landscapes and sometimes use them but mostly I either shoot brackets or just use the graduated filter tool in Lightroom.
07-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been toying with the idea of getting a filter holder and some ND grads, partly because I've been shooting film lately. At any event, there's no magic bullet for rendering high contrast scenes to low-contrast output such as prints or typical monitors; ND grads are no more natural looking than well done exposure blends. Indeed, blending exposures is tremendously more flexible. However, there are of course advantages to getting it done in one exposure, most obviously with dynamic subjects.
07-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
because I've been shooting film lately. At any event, there's no magic bullet for rendering high contrast scenes to low-contrast output such as prints or typical monitors
With BW film there is. You just need to master compressing highlights during film development. And when you do, you may find you'll never need a light meter again outdoors during the day time.

07-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And when you do, you may find you'll never need a light meter again outdoors during the day time.
Indeed, I've been scanning some b/w film lately and am amazed at the exposure latitude even for normally developed film. Getting going with home processing is on the list...

So, to get back on topic, for those urban landscapes just load up some film!
07-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot quite a bit of landscape and grad ND's are an indispensable part of how I work.
I like doing as much in camera as possible, so I use them in preference to post production.
as far as which type, the P size square filters are my tool of choice as the screw-ins can't be adjusted and the line between dark and light is always in the middle of your image.
I use both hard and soft edged grads, generally either 2 or 3 stops

That said, they're not for every situation.
They work best when you have a clean line between sky and ground (sea, flat-topped mountains etc.) but less useful with a variable skyline.

When selecting which to use, I spot meter the sky and the ground, work out the difference in brightness (in stops) and that is the strength you need.

Hope this helps.
07-15-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
havent worked with ND grad filters, only with plain ND filters. You're right about blown out skies or dark foregrounds and what I do and it usually works is to use the grad filter in camera raw. does take some time since you need to place it correctly on the sky and make the graduation fairly smooth but you also might need to adjust other things like contrast, saturation etc in order to make it look more natural.. at the end of the day im happy with the results...
when you're out with friends or family for the day and you only have your camera and 1-2 lenses in your bag, its a quick solution to make those midday landscape shots look a bit better.
of course if you're out to shoot a specific spot then I do agree with having one with you.saves you quite some time later in PP.
07-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Lee Filter system for my landscape photography , the only graduated ND in my kit these days is the 0.9 GND soft Edge along with Foundation holder and Lee circular Polariser then you need to buy the adaptor for your lens. Most guys I shoot with all prettty much take one exposure for forground and one for the sky and then blend the images in post. There are plenty of youtube videos on the subject.

07-15-2014, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I often use Grad ND filters - P size, hi tech brand. Used Cokin but the color shift (purple) was awful. I also use HDR software pretty frequently but I try to stay away from the cartoonish armegeddon look.

Yes the filters are expensive, but so is a vacation and so is your camera gear - you may as well get your best image given you've already spent a bunch getting there and for your gear. True, the filters won't last forever, but the photos you capture will.