Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
F stop inserts and pack

Thanks for the reply--as I said in the initial query, I do seem to be in F-stop's marketing demographic, but getting input from people who've actually fielded them is invaluable. (Especially as I resemble the Afrikaners whom I heard described once as folks who "can break sand.") The point about the hoods is a good one as well--I can see that I might be exposing a delicate flange of metal if I don't find a different place for them.

07-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #17

No practical experience with it yet, but I did just pickup a Nikon DSLR Soft case for a similar application. I go on long bike trips, generally not camping but long 50-150 mile rides to ultimately crash on a couch for a day or 2. I have a few backpacks I use depending on the length of the trip. The case will fit them all while leaving enough space, and when the time comes I can take it out and relieve myself of the larger pack full of things that I wont need at the top of a hill/next to the stream/backyard etc etc.

I thought about the insert, but it wouldn't fit well in all my bags and wouldn't be as easy to carry along if I wanted to leave the larger pack behind. Any hard case would be heavy and unless carefully packed extremely uncomfortable on the back! The bag in a bag seems overall ideal.
07-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Before you buy any other insert cases, I'd suggest you check out what Mountainsmith in Colorado offers: In general, this company offers some exceptional values throughout their product line. I bought the Andy Mann series Descent sling bag from overstock.com, and it is outstanding (Andy's friendly, short video on the main site shows quickly that it's got the goods). Great value. For you, maybe check out their newly revised, roll over & buckle style insert cases, which really are different and effective looking -- I'll probably be ordering one of these, as well. And MS's favored charcoal and gold color scheme is classy.

The F-Stop folks are very nice, I might add. I have their Millar series Brooklyn sling and Shibata bags. The removable insert series stuff looks a bit price-y, though, so do make some careful comparisons.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 07-22-2014 at 08:40 PM.
07-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CrankyElbow Quote
Nikon DSLR Soft case

CrankyElbow-- Thanks for the heads-up...there does seem to be a class of "protection" that I wasn't familiar with. (I was sifting through the B&H website last night--always an expensive proposition!--and saw that there are actually multi-lens shoulder bags made entirely of neoprene...a new one on me.) At any rate, your experience with cycling might be more analogous to how I tend to work, especially since I don't anticipate needing a "quck-draw" functionality that backpackers looking for megafauna might value.

---------- Post added 07-23-14 at 06:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
their newly revised, roll over & buckle style insert cases,

KJ--I've actually got a Mountainsmith insert, but I wasn't aware of the roll-top options coming online...thanks! (BTW, I've given Patrick Smith, who started that company before founding Kifaru, a lot of money over the years--lots of good vibes both in terms of people and design philosophy.)

07-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #20

Neoprene bag sounds ideal! The typical camera case may be a little too much for true backpacking where every cubic cm counts, but I bet the neoprene bag would be perfect.
07-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Much more than the covers and dry bag just eats into my carrying capacity for important stuff like food and shelter.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have several lenses for which I have no cases and the wraps might be just the thing.

Steve
07-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have several lenses for which I have no cases and the wraps might be just the thing.

Hopefully Matt is still monitoring this thread--I'm curious myself which lenses go best in which Clik wrap...even the smallest wrap it seems would hold more than one DA Limited it seems.

07-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes I am. I only have the medium and large wraps because the limited have their own little bags I can just put in the dry bag already. I bet you could fit a couple (or more if one is a 40) in a small but you'd have to use some kind of spacer to keep them from knocking together in there.

In my medium wrap I can put my Tamron 28-75/2.8, Pentax 18-135, Sears 135/2.8, or Pentax M 100/4 Macro with some room to spare. I can even cram an A*300/4 in a medium but it's a tight fit.
I got a large for my DA* 60-250 which fits no problem.
07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
but you'd have to use some kind of spacer to keep them from knocking together in there.

Excellent, I'm glad you've peeked back in...knowing the lenses you're using really helps me get a handle of what I might cobble together. (FWIW, the need for the "spacers" you mention might make the "double-sided" rear lens caps that Op-Tech makes really useful.)
07-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Sorry for the delay.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
the Cubeze seems to be a lot like the MountainSmith insert I already own, so if it's met your needs, so much the better.
There are many sizes vailable.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
A question: can you adjust the internal dividers so that the lenses ride securely in all orientations? (I like your horizontal mount idea.) One thing that I was paranoid about was having the outside of the insert provide enough padding while all that expensive glass inside jostled about like a bag of marbles.
Yes you can adjust them mostly as you wish.
07-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent, I think it's time to start experimenting, then.
07-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Instead of wraps you might also want to consider these that I picked for daft money $20 for the set of four.

Active Pro Lens Pouches reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Those definitely look interesting, though since I don't have long/fast glass, the smallest of the four would probably be as big as I needed. I'm starting to like the neoprene option more and more--stick a few wrapped lenses in semi-rigid case and I might be set.
07-27-2014, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a quick overnighter last night. I brought my Rokinon 8mm, da40, da15, 18-135, and a carbon tripod. I never used the zoom but brought it in case of bad weather.
I carried the lenses in wraps or their own bags all in a small dry bag that goes in my pack.
Black Rapid strap under the pack for quick shots. GLad I had that for some photos I might not have stopped for if the camera was in the pack.
07-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
GLad I had that for some photos I might not have stopped for if the camera was in the pack.

That's a very good point--while I don't need to be speedy, I also don't want to be in the position of thinking that digging through my ruck is just too much trouble (although I think I'd ditch the pack in a heartbeat for that particular shot.
)