Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Câmera + gpstracker

Hi I will just share my small experience with my Pentax K5 and a gps tracker Garmin etrex20.

I love travel and I would put gps coordinate in my photos, I thought in buy a O-gps1 but the price made me decline this idea. I like treking and them I though that a gps for outdoor activities will be better to me.

The Garmin Etrex20 is a little bit cheaper than O-gps1 and have some other utilities usefull for me. You also can an smartphone with some tracker app, like open gps tracker or wikiloc. I recomend wikiloc. The advantage of an dedicated outdoor gps than a smartphone is better precision and better battery life but smartphones still a good option.

In last month I make the test with the etrex20 in a travel though Brazil. I went from São Paulo to Chapada dos Guimarães is about 4000Km travel and I had a good experience adding the gps in the photos.

Its VERY important to sink the clock of the camera with the clock of the gps and them you start to record your track in the gps. Will be created a gpx file, this file have all the track you made plus the time you passed so with the time possible to combine the coordinates in the file of the photos with some specific software.

I used the software gps photo correlate https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/gpscorrelate-gui/.

I suppose its only for linux but I am sure you can find something for windows or iOS.

A easy way to check if the operation went well is to put it in google+ its show you in the map the coordinate taged in the photo.

Its my first post here so I am sorry if its not verry clear you may ask me any other information if you want.

07-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the useful post.

I've been looking at the Etrex 20 (since the Etrex series support GPS+GLONASS). Your post gives me some ideas.