Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Metz Mecablitz 64 AF-1

https://www.metz.de/en/lighting/flash-units/system-flash-units/mecablitz-64-...formation.html

07-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's interesting that the data sheet for the flash now posts two guide number measurements:

QuoteQuote:
"High max. guide number 64 for ISO 100 (200 mm)
High guide number 43 for ISO 100 (50 mm)"
GN 43 at 50mm is not as impressive as GN 64 at 200mm, but it still shows that this flash has a decent kick to it.
07-23-2014, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

It's good to see continued support for Pentax.

Interesting disclaimer on Metz' website: "The use of the product is intended for the illumination of photo shootings. It is not suitable for domestic room illumination." I guess some unhappy customers couldn't tell the difference between camera flash and flashlight.
07-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

METZ 64AF-1 DIGITAL FLASH/PENTAX MZ006431798

Not in stock, but a price.

07-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Not in stock, but a price.
Seems a tad expensive.
But the last time I bought a Metz flash (45 CT1) was circa 1981, and it still works a treat. So if you spread the 2014 cost of the Metz 64 over a decade or three, the upfront price looks a lot more reasonable.

However I must confess to having some doubts about the longevity of LCD screens like the one on the Metz 64. Over time, such largish screens seem very likely to get cracked or smashed, or the LCD backlights die, or the characters in the display itself often degrade.
11-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Seems a tad expensive.
But the last time I bought a Metz flash (45 CT1) was circa 1981, and it still works a treat. So if you spread the 2014 cost of the Metz 64 over a decade or three, the upfront price looks a lot more reasonable.

However I must confess to having some doubts about the longevity of LCD screens like the one on the Metz 64. Over time, such largish screens seem very likely to get cracked or smashed, or the LCD backlights die, or the characters in the display itself often degrade.
Compared to the latest Pentax in that power range, it is a steal. It seems solid, and the touch screen is a nice feature, though so far the touch required on the screen is pretty firm.
03-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

Hi,

I also bought Metz 64 AF-1 and I'm not sure if my unit is working as it should work.
My local service center cannot answer any question because the don't have this flash in their hands.
My issue is auto (motorized) zoom.
I'm using Pentax k-5 IIs with 18-135 lens and the zoom is working for focal lenths up to 70mm but wont move any closer to 135mm in auto zoom, neither the value on display or reflector position is changed. I can select values between 70 and 135mm manually and it's working just fine, reflector is moving. As soon as i go back to auto it goes back to 70mm or lower if the focal length is lower than 70mm. Same goes for my other lens with fixed focal length of 100mm. Flash sits on 70mm.
Can anyone confirm that it's normal behaviour?

04-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I Have had this flash about 6 months now, and I still like it. However, had the new AF540 been priced the way it is now, it could have given the Metz a better run for the money.

The zoom issue is fairly minor for my uses. I use it occasionally for long lenses and wildlife, but I am not a fan of the way a zoomed, direct flash looks on people. My biggest issue with this flash has been its tendency to overheat and shut down, especially with certain batteries. I have owned the bigger flashes from Sigma, Pentax, Vivitar and others, and heat was never an issue.

My sense is that much of the heat comes from the batteries when they start to discharge, because changing them out will get it off the yellow triangle overheat mode. Also, standard Eneloops are far less prone to heat than the Eneloop Pro. I have read that lithium batteries also tend to heat up and may not be a good option. Still, this flash has lots of power and features. I'd be tempted to try an external battery pack down the road.