Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax Flucard with K-50

I am aware that the Flucard does not offer all the features with the k-50 as it does with the k-3 apart from transferring photos wirelessly to your PC. i know i cant control the camera remotely from my screen unless I have a k-3. a camera upgrade is in the future plans however, maybe end of this year or early next year. at the moment my main concern is when capturing macro at home, it can be a pain sometimes taking the memory card out to review the photos on screen and then back in again for the next shot. this can happen at least 3-4 times before im fully satisfied with a photo ive taken. it can be hard reviewing them on the LCD screen. at the moment wireless transfer will cover some of my needs, even though it would be nice to have all the remote features the flucard offers. whats the transfer time when capturing raw+jpeg ? is there a way where i can instantly review the photo on the computer after its transferred instead of having to open it in photoshop or lightroom? a software where the image automatically opens after transfer?

i know the flucard is more expensive than the other eye-fi cards out there but does it offer any significant advantages over them as far as the k-50 is concerned?
if not, do i get the flucard so i can also use it with the k-3 later on, or do i buy a cheap(er) eye-fi card to cover my basic needs now?

07-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
i know the flucard is more expensive than the other eye-fi cards out there but does it offer any significant advantages over them as far as the k-50 is concerned?
Not really. I'd probably go for an eye-fi card to save some money (which the K-50 also natively supports).

But yes, it is possible to instantly review images on the flucard using a PC or smartphone. If you plan on getting a K-3 soon then maybe getting the Pentax flucard isn't such a bad idea.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But yes, it is possible to instantly review images on the flucard using a PC or smartphone
Thanks for your reply Adam. greatly appreciated
im assuming the same is true for the eye-fi card, correct?can this be done with photoshop or only with the software compatible with the card (in image view mode)
07-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Thanks for your reply Adam. greatly appreciated
im assuming the same is true for the eye-fi card, correct?can this be done with photoshop or only with the software compatible with the card (in image view mode)
That I can't comment on, but with the flucard you can essentially view the files in your web browser, which can then be dragged into photoshop. I wouldn't expect native apps (i.e. the ones for the eye-fi card) to link up with photoshop, but you never know!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #5

I use the eye-fi card and have it set up two ways. (I'm using a K7, but that doesn't matter) For one set up, I am shooting RAW+JPG, with the JPG at its smallest. I use the small JPG to keep the transfers as fast as possible. The JPG is automatically transferred to my Nexxus tablet so I can see my photo on a 10 inch screen while I'm shooting. Takes just seconds. There is a free app that will allow you to transfer to your phone too. What's happening is the wifi card sets up it's own ad hoc network. If you're at home, near your wireless network, it will use that for faster transfer. This is really useful for composition when shooting in the field.

The other set up is on my home pc, where the photos transfer wirelessly into a folder that Lightroom monitors. Then LIghtroom automatically displays the latest shot (RAW) on my monitor. The EyeFi card comes with software that will transfer and display, but I like the instant editing in LR and that's where I'm going with the photo anyway. The software installation can be a little balky, I ended up chatting online with their tech folks (who were very helpful) to get it set up.

Other software is more elegant, but this is a cheap and doable workflow for hobbyists like me.

Herb Wilburn
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hwilburn/
07-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwilburn Quote
I use the eye-fi card and have it set up two ways. (I'm using a K7, but that doesn't matter) For one set up, I am shooting RAW+JPG, with the JPG at its smallest. I use the small JPG to keep the transfers as fast as possible. The JPG is automatically transferred to my Nexxus tablet so I can see my photo on a 10 inch screen while I'm shooting. Takes just seconds. There is a free app that will allow you to transfer to your phone too. What's happening is the wifi card sets up it's own ad hoc network. If you're at home, near your wireless network, it will use that for faster transfer. This is really useful for composition when shooting in the field.

The other set up is on my home pc, where the photos transfer wirelessly into a folder that Lightroom monitors. Then LIghtroom automatically displays the latest shot (RAW) on my monitor. The EyeFi card comes with software that will transfer and display, but I like the instant editing in LR and that's where I'm going with the photo anyway. The software installation can be a little balky, I ended up chatting online with their tech folks (who were very helpful) to get it set up.

Other software is more elegant, but this is a cheap and doable workflow for hobbyists like me.

Herb Wilburn
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hwilburn/
thanks herb.very useful info there. im currently waiting for a quote from my local dealer for the flucard.if its too expensive i'll probably end up buying the eye-fi card. at the moment the only use i see in the card is to be able to make quick adjustments for my macro shots without having to take out the card to view them on my monitor.