Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Clip system

I have a question for the arborists or rock climbers on the forum. My husband and I are just getting into Recreational Tree Climbing. At some point I know I will want to take my K200D into the trees. What systems do you use to carry you camera while climbing? I was thinking about one of the clip systems attached to my climbing belt, with a safety strap attached to the camera lugs.
Just would like to know what systems others use?

Thanks
Delia

08-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would consider either a sling bag if at all feasible, otherwise I think I'd go with a sling + hip strap.
08-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have a look at what Peak Design has to offer.
They also have an offer on Kickstarter which finishes in the next few days.
08-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Peak Designs' Capture Clip. I really like it for quick access while hiking; it's comfortable, secure, and very easy to access. For climbing, though, maybe the Spider Holster is better since the camera stays attached to you at all times.

08-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
The Peak Design system is the one I have been looking at. I still have more research I want to do though.

Delia
08-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Cotton Carrier vest system.
Camera Carrier Vests Harness Neck Strap Bags Vest Systems Strap
I'm happy with it. It keeps the camera secure and handy. There are also belt options, 2 camera options, etc.
08-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'll concur with the Peak design. It is stable and works. For secondary security get a leash. If you get their pro package it comes with everything.

08-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i think the peak design clip and a pair of leash's would be about as secure and easy to access as you could get.
1 leash on each lug looped around your climbing harness, and a clip hooked onto your harness.
triple protection, and about 10 sec to free the camera
08-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Another vote for Peak. I've got the original Peak Design clip (looks like they've come out with a new version) and it is worth every cent.
08-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #10

Thanks for this thread. Although I'm no rock climber I find these quick access systems very interesting. Especially the Capture Clip.
One question, though. How does the camera "like" being carried around by the tripod mount screw? Isn't it a lot of strain on that one mount point? I also have a weird fear of the camera just falling off the screw, but I guess it couldn't wiggle free but would rather have to make several full rotations (which even I should notice) before getting loose?

Too bad the kickstarter was already finished when I found this thread. Slide and/or Clutch look nice as well.
08-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
Thanks for this thread. Although I'm no rock climber I find these quick access systems very interesting. Especially the Capture Clip.
One question, though. How does the camera "like" being carried around by the tripod mount screw? Isn't it a lot of strain on that one mount point? I also have a weird fear of the camera just falling off the screw, but I guess it couldn't wiggle free but would rather have to make several full rotations (which even I should notice) before getting loose?

Too bad the kickstarter was already finished when I found this thread. Slide and/or Clutch look nice as well.
There is no strain... you tighten a padded plate against the body using the mounting screw. Mine has loosened up from the plate a tiny bit due to not tightening enough, but it would be impossible to fall out/off. Also, the holder that the mounting plate locks into has a redundant mechanism that prevents it from being disconnected if needed (I've never used it). I've biked, hiked, and ran short distances with mine attached to the straps of my Camelbak. At first I was hesitant to pay so much for such a small item, but it is completely worth it and is perfect in it's simplicity. I don't work for them but I would
08-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #12

Thank you for the info. Well, I was wondering as the clip connects to the camera only at the tripod screw thread. But I suppose that should be sturdy enough, since I don't plan to do any extreme sporting. Just ordered it, so I shall see.
08-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The Peak Design clips can go anywhere. I have one on both strap lugs as well as the bottom using the arca swiss plate. When I have my long lens I have one on the tripod mount of the lens.
05-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
I decided on the peak design capture pro clip system. It attaches well to my climbing saddle and I have taken it up once and it seems to work well. I also have a paracord strap attached to the camera lugs then clipped to my belt as a safety leash. I was able to take a few pics with ease. My hubby took a cellphone pic showing it attached to my belt.
Attached Images

05-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
How does the camera "like" being carried around by the tripod mount screw?

Check out post #28 here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/293336...ml#post3234032