Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm a Domke fan. I've owned or considered all the models below.

The Domke F-3 and F-6 should hold your whole kit and then some.
The F-8 and F-9 are too small for what you want to carry.
The F-5XB might work but the zipper will make it a rather tight fit.
I'd only use the bottom compartment on the F-5XC to store seldom used items.
The F-10 is similar in size to the F-5XB but has no zipper to hinder access.

Chris

I see the zipper as added dust and moisture protection, as well as keeping small items within the bag if it ever turns over or sideways. It does not have to be a hindrance considering you have the choice of leaving it unzipped.

The 5XC is my main bag. I have mine split into six compartments, three with in the top zipper and three within the bottom. I usually stuff mine with a ton of lenses. The six compartment split is possible for me because I added the inserts from my 5XB to the bag.

08-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I see the zipper as added dust and moisture protection, as well as keeping small items within the bag
if it ever turns over or sideways. It does not have to be a hindrance considering you have the choice of leaving it unzipped.
In my experience the zipper is a real PITA. It cuts down on available space.
It will scratch your gear and your knuckles while serving no necessary function.
I like the F-5XB but if I ever buy another I must have that damn zipper removed.

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
Between F-5XC and F6 which one would you recommend?
Neither. The F-6 is bigger than you really need and the F-5XC is too "busy".
I'd opt for the F-10 instead.

Chris
08-31-2014, 04:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
I have ordered the F-5XC today. Hopefully that would meet my requirements
Congratulations on your purchase! It's hard to go wrong with a Domke bag. I've had an F3 for over 20 years and other than a few stains on the bottom, it's still going strong. It's not my main bag, but it's my most used. I have a large LowePro that holds all my main lenses, but whenever I head out on a shoot, most times it's the Domke that I grab, fill with what I think I'll need that day, and carry out the door. Like a previous poster, I almost use mine like a "man bag". Besides my camera gear, I may stuff a bottle of water, my phone, car keys, ballcap, or a snack into the pockets.
09-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Congratulations on your purchase! It's hard to go wrong with a Domke bag. I've had an F3 for over 20 years and other than a few stains on the bottom, it's still going strong. It's not my main bag, but it's my most used. I have a large LowePro that holds all my main lenses, but whenever I head out on a shoot, most times it's the Domke that I grab, fill with what I think I'll need that day, and carry out the door. Like a previous poster, I almost use mine like a "man bag". Besides my camera gear, I may stuff a bottle of water, my phone, car keys, ballcap, or a snack into the pockets.
I am really liking the Domke F-5XC. The bottom part has been used for storing the grip, and other seldom used items.I think this is the right size for me.