Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Domke F6

I am trying to find a suitable bag for my Pentax K-3 and a few primes. Currently I have

Pentax K-3
Pentax 18-135mm
Pentax 50mm F1.8
Pentax 35mm F2.4

I will be carrying 2 lenses and may be flash and would like to know whether Domke F-6 is suitable bag. I do not want a big bag and I would not be carrying all of my gear (maximum of 2 lenses and a flash).

Is there any other Domke bags that you can recommend?

-Emsee

08-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
I am trying to find a suitable bag for my Pentax K-3 and a few primes. Currently I have

Pentax K-3
Pentax 18-135mm
Pentax 50mm F1.8
Pentax 35mm F2.4

I will be carrying 2 lenses and may be flash and would like to know whether Domke F-6 is suitable bag. I do not want a big bag and I would not be carrying all of my gear (maximum of 2 lenses and a flash).

Is there any other Domke bags that you can recommend?

-Emsee
Domke DOF8RS
F-8 Small Shoulder Bag- Ruggedwear (Brown)

I have one of these which I love. I can take my K5ii/K3 two small or one telephoto lens. Very durable, easy to carry. Room for spare batteries and memory cards.

Only one STUPID thing about this bag the zipped compartment for your small valuables (e.g. memory cards) has the zipper placed where everything falls out of there on the floor immediately on opening. Don't store anything in there you want to keep. (I have already lost a 34GB memory card this way).

The bag is great though, and the handles have strong metal attachments that I hang other lenses onto when I need to carry more.

Excellent bag.
08-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Domke 5XB and a 5XC. Great bags. Super strong and rugged. One of mine is a ruggedwear and one is regular. I prefer the regular as it is a beefier canvas and it does not bleed color like the brown ruggedwear bags.
I've never tried the F6. I like the 5X series because they have a zippered main compartment.
08-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

F6

I have a F6 that holds a K5, the DA 40, 21,15 and 50-300 Zoom. Also a Kmount Holga Lens. Plus cleaning supplies etc. I also have the double ended Optitech rear cap,which allows the 21&15 to share one compartment.

08-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Look into the Domke "next generation" bags, as they are very similar to the old F-6, etc., but have rigid inserts and separators that can be moved around. Things won't fall out of them when you put them down...
08-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Domke DOF8RS
F-8 Small Shoulder Bag- Ruggedwear (Brown)

I have one of these which I love. I can take my K5ii/K3 two small or one telephoto lens. Very durable, easy to carry. Room for spare batteries and memory cards.

Only one STUPID thing about this bag the zipped compartment for your small valuables (e.g. memory cards) has the zipper placed where everything falls out of there on the floor immediately on opening. Don't store anything in there you want to keep. (I have already lost a 34GB memory card this way).

The bag is great though, and the handles have strong metal attachments that I hang other lenses onto when I need to carry more.

Excellent bag.
Thanks. I was checking the dimensions and it seems small (I do not know whether I can keep the lens attached with the camera).

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 08:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Look into the Domke "next generation" bags, as they are very similar to the old F-6, etc., but have rigid inserts and separators that can be moved around. Things won't fall out of them when you put them down...
It looks expensive

I am not planning to spend more than $115-$120 for the bag

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 08:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by spotf74 Quote
I have a F6 that holds a K5, the DA 40, 21,15 and 50-300 Zoom. Also a Kmount Holga Lens. Plus cleaning supplies etc. I also have the double ended Optitech rear cap,which allows the 21&15 to share one compartment.
Is F6 big? Are you keeping the camera with the lens attached or not?

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I have a Domke 5XB and a 5XC. Great bags. Super strong and rugged. One of mine is a ruggedwear and one is regular. I prefer the regular as it is a beefier canvas and it does not bleed color like the brown ruggedwear bags.
I've never tried the F6. I like the 5X series because they have a zippered main compartment.
Thanks. I was looking at 5XB and the fact that it has a zipped main compartment is a nice feature. Let me check that.
08-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

Is F6 big? Are you keeping the camera with the lens attached or not?

When the camera is in the bag one of the single focal length lens is attached.The owners manual fits neatly in the outside open pocket.

08-27-2014, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

F-5xc ...This works well for me....3 or 4 primes in the bottom....300mm plus camera with prime in the top.

In use, I can remove a lens from the bottom with no chance of the others falling out....When takng a lens off you can temporally place it in the top whilst getting one out the bottom etc.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-27-2014 at 05:42 AM.
08-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #9

The B&H website gives the interior dimensions of the F6. If you trace this out on light cardboard you can see how your equipment will fit. If you don't have the external battery pack and plan on adding it, it will add bulk to your camera. Also there is a smaller insert available for the F6.As Domke bags are durable you may want to think about future use.
$80 for the black canvas model seems reasonable.
08-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks. I was checking the dimensions and it seems small (I do not know whether I can keep the lens attached with the camera).
I've got the F-8. You can keep a small lens attached and toss another small lens in the space available, but if you're looking for 2 lenses and a flash I'd probably not recommend it as things will be tight at best.

(While I like it, I've permanently got a F-901 pouch attached to the metal strap attachments just to get a bit of extra room.)
08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the F6. I often carry my K5 with an attached Tamron 17-50/2.8, Pentax 10-17, Pentax 55-30, 6x 58mm filters, 6x 67mm filters, back-up batteries, Pentax GPS device, small bean bag, and cleaning supplies. It should easily carry your kit.
08-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a Domke fan. I've owned or considered all the models below.

The Domke F-3 and F-6 should hold your whole kit and then some.
The F-8 and F-9 are too small for what you want to carry.
The F-5XB might work but the zipper will make it a rather tight fit.
I'd only use the bottom compartment on the F-5XC to store seldom used items.
The F-10 is similar in size to the F-5XB but has no zipper to hinder access.

Chris
08-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm a Domke fan. I've owned or considered all the models below.

The Domke F-3 and F-6 should hold your whole kit and then some.
The F-8 and F-9 are too small for what you want to carry.
The F-5XB might work but the zipper will make it a rather tight fit.
I'd only use the bottom compartment on the F-5XC to store seldom used items.
The F-10 is similar in size to the F-5XB but has no zipper to hinder access.

Chris
Thanks.

Between F-5XC and F6 which one would you recommend?
08-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have ordered the F-5XC today. Hopefully that would meet my requirements
08-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have ordered the F-5XC today. Hopefully that would meet my requirements
Good choice…… I find mind useful as a "man bag"….take it with me whenever I go out…..camera, couple of primes…..phone….etc…..and can also fit in camera and 4 primes and flash or a couple of longer lenses. It actually looks quite "metro male". Only downside is the velcro "screech" when you open the flap.

I also find accessing the bottom compartment easy. I also recommend ditching the camera neck strap and getting a wrist strap…..the wrist strap slips over your wrist as you get the camera out and gives you all the required drop perfection you need. You can also dangle the camera if needed whist getting/putting away a lens.

In the end though, I reckon you need 3-4 camera bags for different purposes!