Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
need a recommendation for a good tripod

My tripod is just too light to handle the K10D with vertical grip and the Voigtlanter 125mm attached. What I need is a good quality tripod for doing macro work. I have seen some that allow the head to be swung under the legs - kind of upside down - that allow the camera to get close enough for 1:1 shots.

I would gladly appreciate suggestions from anyone that has had experience with such a tripod.

05-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Feisol seems v nice, a bit too expensive for me, but I sure was tempted. I guess if I had done it all again today I would have gone with them. Lots of accessories available like panning base and vertical adapter.

I went for velbon with the neo carmagne series which was a good compromise og size, weight, capacity and price. with a manfrotto head. the manfrotto tripods seem nice but too big and heavy for me. gitzo is light weight but waaay too expensive.
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You probably saw a Benbo. Look for them on eBay.

Chris
05-12-2008, 02:23 AM   #4

I might hijack this thread a little bit because I'm in a similar boat.
After a light tripod so i can take it anywhere even if I'm walkin 10kms with it.
I like the look of the manfrotto 785B or the Slik SprintGM if anyone has any experience with any of them, or any others that I should be looking at.

Cheers!

05-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzvds Quote
I might hijack this thread a little bit because I'm in a similar boat.
After a light tripod so i can take it anywhere even if I'm walkin 10kms with it.
I like the look of the manfrotto 785B or the Slik SprintGM if anyone has any experience with any of them, or any others that I should be looking at.

Cheers!
Feisol has a tournament model that weighs 1.03kg but can hold 10kg. I dont know any manfrotto model that can compare to that.

They have another that weighs 0.9kg and can hold 6kg

They can be configured with extras such as center column, leveling pase, panning base, horizontal column, spikes etc.
05-12-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Benbo 1 I supose? Its unique design is great for awkward angles, but might not be for everyone. Just avoid the Benko Trekker. For regular tripod, check out Velbon EL or Neo Carmagne series.
05-12-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a pair of tripods. An Amvona heavy one that would mostly be used in studio and with a long wildlife lens and a Manfrotto that is a better carry 'in the woods' and macro tripod. It's fine for the camera and grip with moderate length lenses.

Mine is a 190 which is also sold as a 3001. Today's version is the 190cx I think. It's now carbon fibre where mine is aluminum. Strong and fairly light with a removable centre stock. I have the 'plug' for mine that allows another head to be added to the legs. So you remove the centre column and insert the plug in it's place. To that you can add a head to shoot right on the ground. The legs flatten and get the head a few inches from the ground. The head I use for this is an old Manfrotto ball head that stays on the 'plug'. The best thing is that it can mount on the bottom end of the centre stock and stay there when the column is mounted normally. So you don't have any loose parts to carry around. You have 2 heads with you at all times.

The new 190cx has the center arm that slides out and can be used with just one head in both upright and ground applications. Looks very good. The only drawback with both (and this isn't a huge deal) is that these are not really tall units (about 4'4" feet without raising the center column).

Have a look at this PDF of the Manfrotto catalogue.

http://www.manfrotto.com/webdav/site/manfrotto/shared/pdf/catalogues/GB_MANF...alogue2007.pdf

The 055ProB would be my choice if I had the $$. It has the same adaptor (plug) for the second head and is 135Cms (4' 4") without the head which will add 10-12 cms and without raising the center column. With the centre column raised the height is 176 Cms (5' 8") again without the head. It also uses the movable centre column design. So the best of both worlds. The movable arm would be great for higher macros taken on a table top or flowers/bugs in a bush that are higher than ground level.

05-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Benbo 1 I supose? Its unique design is great for awkward angles, but might not be for everyone. Just avoid the Benko Trekker. For regular tripod, check out Velbon EL or Neo Carmagne series.
Avoid? People either love or hate them. What makes the Trekker bad?

D.
05-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The reason is that the Trekker was a lightweight version of the 1 which is sturdy. I used to owned the Trekker but the vibration was so severe with only 1 body + a 100mm macro on it, it was practically useless.
05-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been using this basic design from Bogen/Manfrotto for years and years. Here's the latest incarnation ...

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 055XPROB - PRO TRIPOD BLACK

A good sturdy basic tripod.

Here's the link at B&H

Bogen / Manfrotto | 055XPROB Tripod Legs (Black) | 055XPROB
05-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am warming up to the Manfrotto 055 line of tripods and possibly an 808RC4 head. They make several Pano type heads, too; but not this time around.
05-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #12

I have the 055xProb with a 3275 geared head, used mainly with the Bigma for nature shots. Very sturdy and not too heavy.

At 6'3", I particularly liked this combo as it gives me the height I need without raising the centre column all the way up which does tend to destabilise a heavy rig more.

Also works well for low level macro shots - the leg angle adjustment works great, the only improvement would be for the leg angle to be infinitely variable . . . mmmm . . .good idea, maybe I'll work on a patent for that and make millions.
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #13

I have the Slik 700, it's alrger than you're looking for, but I'm very happy with it, and have been looking at getting the Slik Sprint Mini to travel with. I've have loved the Sliks so far.