Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Carrying bag suggesgtions

Hi, I have a Pentax k-50 with the kit lens (18-55mm), and will quite possibly be getting the Pentax 55-200 WR OR pentax 55-300 WR lens, and am searching for a bag that I can take on an upcoming trip.

I am looking for a very compact bag that can be carried with a shoulder strap, that will house my Camera and one lens.

I saw plenty online already at Amazon & Bestbuy, but they all seem too bulky and unnecessarily big for me.

I am asking fellow Pentax users for suggestions, as I know many of you probably have the perfect (or close to perfect) one for me to get. Compatibility is the most important thing. I don't want to be lugging a huge cumbersome bag.

Thanks in advance for your ideas & advice.

09-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would this work?
09-03-2014, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #3

Hi there,

everyone has their own tastes and preferences, of course, especially when it comes to photo equipment. But I'm a big fan of Crumpler bags.
They come in all shapes and sizes and have several that should fit your need, though their model lineup changes pretty often. I have a half photo backpack (bottom half is for equipment, top compartment for normal storage) and a full photo messenger bag. Build quality is quite good and sturdy, and the design intelligently thought through.
And I like how they don't look like your typical camera bags, but padding does add some bulk.
09-03-2014, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
That's the one I first thought of too. It gets often recommended in these type of threads. I only took 8 minutes this time.

Domke F-5xb Shoulder bags Reviews - Cambags

domke f-5xb | B&H Photo Video

09-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I forgot to mention, I was hoping for an inexpensive one
09-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Why don't you try this?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/270583-tamrac-3537-...bag-black.html

I picked one up. It's a nice bag.

Chris
09-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisb3 Quote
Why don't you try this?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/270583-tamrac-3537-...bag-black.html

Chris
Thanks, but there's no shoulder strap on that one.

09-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertminator Quote
Hi, I have a Pentax k-50 with the kit lens (18-55mm), and will quite possibly be getting the Pentax 55-200 WR OR pentax 55-300 WR lens, and am searching for a bag that I can take on an upcoming trip.

I am looking for a very compact bag that can be carried with a shoulder strap, that will house my Camera and one lens.

I have an older version of this bag:
Products | Golla

It fits the K3 plus a lens and a very few odds and ends. I think I got mine at Target, and it was quite affordable.
09-03-2014, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
Hi there,

everyone has their own tastes and preferences, of course, especially when it comes to photo equipment. But I'm a big fan of Crumpler bags.
They come in all shapes and sizes and have several that should fit your need, though their model lineup changes pretty often. I have a half photo backpack (bottom half is for equipment, top compartment for normal storage) and a full photo messenger bag. Build quality is quite good and sturdy, and the design intelligently thought through.
And I like how they don't look like your typical camera bags, but padding does add some bulk.
I as well love my Crumpler bag, I have a 6 million dollar home and it holds quite a bit, but is lightweight and very comfortable for extended periods. It has become my goto shoulder bag. It also looks really nice and is of very good workmanship. I do wish it had slightly more in terms of misc storage pockets.

The other thing about bags is that depending on your wants and needs you should get something that will allow you to carry any other aquisitions later on. I have so many bags now because of this, and will probably do a purge this weekend by donating some to the local camera clubs.

My Crumpler bag holds: K3, FA 31, FA 43, FA 77, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 10-17, and I've run that for a four hour assignment in that bag and was a lot happier than I was with my much larger Think Tank bag.

What I would always recommend is go into the store and load up various bags with your gear and see what you like best in terms of access. I made the mistake of buying a Tamarac backpack wihtout trying first and became disapointed with it quickly for various reasons. I replaced it with a Lowepro Transit 350 and even though they are similar the egronomics of the Lowepro are better and its way more comfortable for longer periods of time.
09-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There absolutely is one.

Here's a link to the same bag on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-3537-Express-Camera-Black/dp/B000XX7XWW

Thanks, but there's no shoulder strap on that one.
09-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Shop Gadget Bag | Saddleback Leather Co. -- I use the large coffee brown version. Throw an extra foam pad on the bottom and wrap spare lenses in neoprene pouches and you're good to go.. but it's not terribly compact (though the medium size isn't too bad, or their small "dry bag"). I used it with the Domke inserts for a while (and still use the domke pad for the bottom, but the pouches fit better.

But seriously.. if you're just bringing a camera and 1 spare lens, you don't need a dedicated camera bag for it. Especially not one that says "HEY I'M A CAMERA BAG PLEASE STEAL ME"

Just get a neoprene wrap (like these: Protective Wraps & Mats | B&H Photo Video - or you could get one that's made in the shape of your camera but those seem awkward to me) for your camera and a neoprene pouch for the spare lens and put them in whatever other bag you're going to carry. If you're not planning on carrying another bag, then you can use any bag you have handy that has a shoulder strap.

I have a cloth bag I think I got for free after buying a couple of tshirts at a Hard Rock Cafe. I usually have my camera over my shoulder, not in the bag, but I can throw a few lenses in the bag, throw it over my other shoulder, and be good to go. Neoprene pouches are pretty cheap, and they usually have a belt loop and a snap clip thing so you can slap them on your camera/backpack strap or your belt loops (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1VEQFG/ - pack of 4 of them in different sizes on amazon for 23 bucks.)
09-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I guess I forgot to mention, I was hoping for an inexpensive one
Have a look around on eBay. There's a gazillion bags. Most are not camera bags per se but could certainly be used for that purpose. Cheap. Free shipping from China / Hong Kong.
09-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisb3 Quote
Why don't you try this?

Chris
I have that bag, it's a fine bag and should work well for the OP's purposes; just the right size for a a slightly more than minimal package. I recently broke mine out for the first time in a few years to carry the package I took to the Long Beach Tall Ships Festival. It was the perfect bag for the day and carried my Canonet QL17, extra film, Canolite D flash, Pentax Q with all it's "prime" lenses, air bulb, lens pen, Colorchecker Passport, Q manual, Ultrapod, extra camera batteries, smartphone, and extra phone batteries, with room left over in the various pockets.

At the Ebay price it's a no-brainer.

Another option is to buy the Crumpler Haven then buy any bag you like. Here's what a cheap eBags bag looks like with a small Crumpler Haven. A medium will give you a scooch more room but for one body with an attached lens and an additional lens the small should be just right. it's still more expensive than the eBay bag, though.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-03-2014 at 03:13 PM.
09-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
How about the Lowepro Sling?

Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag (Black) LP36140 B&H Photo
09-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #15

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I use the Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag (Black) LP36140 B&H Photo when I travel. I used to carry a K-r with an 18-55 attached and a 55-300mm and DA 10-17. It is small, but big enough for the gear and space for snacks and maps etc.