Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Camera bag and planes (Canon L lenses)

It's been awhile since I posted...work and traveled all summer.

I have a camera bag question primarily directed at those who either own/owned both the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM and the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM. Does a bag exist that could handle both, if possible, while attached to the SLRs? That can also be considered carry-on when boarding planes?

Currently this is the one I do have. Half considering getting a second or going with the 200 if need be.
Amazon.com : Lowepro Vertex 100 AW Backpack : Camera Accessory Bags : Camera & Photo
I been able to configure it to fit the Canon 50D with the 28-300 attached and the 70-200 by itself with my Point n Shoot and couple other smaller lenses in the bag as well and my 10 inch iPad is in the front pocket. I tend to carry my other SLR in a smaller shoulder bag usually with an extra lens and my phone. I fly Southwest frequently so I been able to take these bags onto the planes and let them have the luggage with my clothes to put under the plane. Just curious. I always worry about my equipment and more comfortable if they are with me at all times..

Last edited by nananner; 09-03-2014 at 09:10 AM.
09-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nananner Quote
It's been awhile since I posted...work and traveled all summer.

I have a camera bag question primarily directed at those who either own/owned both the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM and the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM. Does a bag exist that could handle both, if possible, while attached to the SLRs? That can also be considered carry-on when boarding planes?

Currently this is the one I do have. Half considering getting a second or going with the 200 if need be.
Amazon.com : Lowepro Vertex 100 AW Backpack : Camera Accessory Bags : Camera & Photo
I been able to configure it to fit the Canon 50D with the 28-300 attached and the 70-200 by itself with my Point n Shoot and couple other smaller lenses in the bag as well and my 10 inch iPad is in the front pocket. I tend to carry my other SLR in a smaller shoulder bag usually with an extra lens and my phone. I fly Southwest frequently so I been able to take these bags onto the planes and let them have the luggage with my clothes to put under the plane. Just curious. I always worry about my equipment and more comfortable if they are with me at all times..
Check the website of your air carrier. They will list the number and dimensions of carry-on bags allowed. Most carriers allow one item up to 9"x14"x22", plus one "personal" item of up to 9"x10"x17".

e.g., https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 09-03-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added info
09-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Not sure about those specific lenses, but I know the Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger small is the best bag I've ever owned and fits the 60-250 with K20D or K-3 mounted, with a few cm to spare at the top. I'd look it up if I were you.
09-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Lowpro 200 AW bag, but haven't used it much for anything except my 4x5 kit. I don't think it can accommodate two DSLRs with longer lenses attached. For years I've preferred the Kata 3-N-1 -30 model pack. I don't use the sling capability, but as a carryon camera backpack it is excellent. It will carry two Canon bodies and a few longer lenses, but only of those those with a long lens attached. I think Manfrotto has taken over the branding on these bags. Very well made.

M

09-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you need a bag that can do all of the above hit me up.