Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
blank 49/49, 58/58 male/female filter rings

Does anyone know if or where these are for sale in the US? I found some on eBay in China.... Would like to get them sooner, though....

09-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&H has both 58-58 and 49-49
Macro Couplers | B&H Photo Video
09-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for looking out, but a M/M macro coupler is not what I am after. What I need is a M/F rings.
09-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
Thanks for looking out, but a M/M macro coupler is not what I am after. What I need is a M/F rings.
Ok, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're looking for what is basically an empty filter - just the ring, no glass. You can try CameraFilters.com (link is to the product page with the empty filter rings, but you may want to play around on that site, there's a lot they haven't organized very well). I have used these guys before for metal lens hoods - a lot of their products are available for less on eBay from China, but obviously you won't have to wait nearly as long for shipping.

Here's another possibility: if you have a local camera shop that sells used gear, look for old, used filters. Tiffen seems to be one of the brands you can reliably find with the feature we're looking for in this case, but there are others - the filters will have a retaining ring holding the glass in place. Look for the colored filters for BW photography or the basic UV/haze filters. The ring has two slots for a spanner wrench like what lens repair techs use to take glass out of lenses. You don't necessarily need the special spanner. I've used two flat-head screw drivers in a cris-cross fashion for leverage, others have suggested using scissors, but the blades have to be really thin. Luckily, most times I've needed to do this kind of thing the rings are not very tight.

In my opinion, the empty rings from CameraFilters cost more than they should, but depending on what a used junk filter goes for you might not pay that much less. I was paying $5 per filter, not too much better, but of course I didn't have to pay for shipping.

09-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
I swear I read the title as Male/Male...
09-04-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

just get the cheapest uv filters you can see on ebay / local stores and smash the glass, that's what i did
09-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
just get the cheapest uv filters you can see on ebay / local stores and smash the glass, that's what i did
That`s a good idea. You could also buy some rubber hoods and remove the rubber as it`s not glued.

09-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

same here, I took some no longer used filters and smashed the glass out with a screwdriver and hammer
09-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, ended up buying various cheap UV filters on ebay from a local seller. Should have them soon. A hammer and screwdriver ready.