Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Closed Account

K1000 Bag Recommendations?

Hey all,

I'm (hopefully) getting a K1000 with several lenses and a flash and such on eBay in... oh, ten hours or so, but this auction doesn't have a bag or a case being sold with it. Although I definitely appreciate the vintage appeal (and the practicality) of the fitted (p)leather cases, I'd like to be able to take an extra roll of film, flash, lens, et cetera with me when I'm wandering about with my camera. I'm considering getting the Tamrac 3536, which I saw was mentioned favorably in another thread, but the $35-plus-shipping price tag is a little high for me right now, especially since I'm making the initial investment for the camera. (Yes, I know the whole spiel about how I should be willing to pay the money to protect the camera since I'm paying for it, but that doesn't preclude looking for a more economical option.)

So... are there any suggestions that people have, preferably relatively cheap yet functional, or should I just go with the Tamrac?

Thanks!

05-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera bags are funny things. Ask ten people, and you'l get eleven different answers.

I Use a Lowepro A200 when I am out with everything, and I use a Lowepro TLZ Mini when I am out with just one camera. the TLZ mini can hold a couple rolls of film, my K1000, a 50MM and a 28MM no problem.

With my first K1000, I didn't use a case. Lenses went in pockets along with film etc. The camera was always out.

If price is the real issue, wrap your gear in dish clothes and stuff everything into a backpack. Check out a military surpluss store and get one of these over the sholder canvas bags. Cheap and very K1000 chique!

Oh, and congrats on the new camera! They are one of the great Pentax camers.
05-12-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by naturalog Quote
I'm considering getting the Tamrac 3536, which I saw was mentioned favorably in another thread, but the $35-plus-shipping price tag is a little high for me right now, especially since I'm making the initial investment for the camera.
I understand perfectly what you are saying. Look into insulated lunch coolers at say Target or KMart. These things...

They come in a variety of sizes, often with a top and a bottom compartment, many have shoulder straps, and they have padding built in in the form of insulation (which also helps in extreme cold and extreme heat); they tend to be pretty weather proof because the lining is designed to hold water in (means it will hold water OUT too!) They tend to look like.. well... lunch, and people don't tend to be looking to steal lunch, and best of all they are inexpensive. If you need to carry a lot of gear and don't have lens cases, think about using a smaller lunch cooler inside a bigger one to hold lenses, etc. A little stick on velcro and you can keep the smaller ones from moving around too much but removable for cleaning. Or get a few of the small bubble-wrap bags (6"x6") and use those for lenses.

Hin has some good ideas here: Hin's Camera Bags - Hin's Tech Corner

He uses diapers for padding! I understand that. At one point until recently I was up to my waist in these things. Some decent bubble wrap will do as well.

Hope this helps...

woof!
05-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Camera bags are funny things. Ask ten people, and you'l get eleven different answers.
Boy! Isn't that the truth.

Heck some of us have already been through 6 or 7 different types of bags trying to find the one that is "just right".

You can go to these two sites and look at all different types of bags.

Lowepro | Home & Tamrac - Manufacturer of camera bags, camera cases, photo backpacks, camcorder bags, video bags, and photo accessories

Even then, you'll only be looking at two of the many bag makers.

Good luck in your bag search and good luck with the K1000 auction. The only caution I have for you. Most of the time when you see an auction of an old Film body and a bunch of lens. It's just about always been picked up at a garage sale and the current owner will know little to nothing about it's actual condition.

05-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
The only caution I have for you. Most of the time when you see an auction of an old Film body and a bunch of lens. It's just about always been picked up at a garage sale and the current owner will know little to nothing about it's actual condition.
This one (well, at least allegedly, but I am one to trust people) belonged to someone's recently-dead father; it said that he used them pretty consistently until shortly before he died, so I assume they're not in really crappy shape. That's a good warning, though. :-) I'll have to remember that for purchases that occur in the future.

But god, I'm nervous about this auction. It ends in just over two hours and I can't stop constantly refreshing the page...
05-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So did you win the K1000? What lenses are included?

It seems I have three K1000's.

Hi my name is KungPOW, and I have CBA.

Hope you enjoy your K1000. They really are great machines.
05-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
I ended up winning a different one... it comes with the standard 50mm lens as well as a Takumar-A ZOOM 1:4 70-200 MM (copied directly from the auction description). I also got a flash, some film (I have no idea whether it's expired/has been stored properly), and a neckstrap... and, actually, a most excellent looking vintage Pentax camera bag (that, once I get to traveling, will look great with patches from different countries and stuff on it).

It should be getting here either Friday or Saturday... I'm so excited.