Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My Passport Wireless Wi-Fi Mobile Storage

Does anyone know if this new storage device will work with K5 or K3 DSLR? Here is a link to storage drive discussion. AnandTech | Western Digital Launches My Passport Wireless Mobile Storage Lineup
The latest review is at http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6201873948/western-digital-launches-the-my-passport-wireless-hard-drive-with-built-in-sd-card-reader

09-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it will work with pretty much any Pentax DSLR that uses SD cards (which is all of them, except the original *ist D). The files will be copied over, no matter whether raw or JPEG, since the hard drive doesn't care what the data is, just that it can be read and copied.

I have a similar device (HyperDrive iUSBportHD) which is a hard-drive case with a battery and SD slot, and I push the card in, press a button, and watch a light blink for a while (or a long while - it can take 15 minutes to copy a full 32GB card!). On the HyperDrive case, there is an LCD display showing the progress and how much room is left on the drive, as well as an error-checking step after the copy is done (comparing the drive data to the SD card). I don't know about the WD device specifics, but apparently it does copy SD cards to the drive with just a push of a button.
09-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wireless wi-fi storage

Thanks. This particular device allows of viewing on a tablet, cell phone and other wi-fi linked devices. It sure looks like a great replacement for using a laptop in the field to download and view images. The reviews make it sound fantastic but I am somewhat skeptical of reviews.
09-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulromero Quote
The reviews make it sound fantastic but I am somewhat skeptical of reviews.
I haven't seen any reviews of it yet. It was only announced last week, wasn't it?

The AnandTech and DPReview articles are basically repeating the press release and showing the press images, not reviewing it. I'd be skeptical of a product that hasn't been tested by anyone... but Western Digital knows a thing or two about drives and storage.

BTW, this thread discusses the many different ways to back up SD cards in the field, and most include viewing JPEGs on a tablet or phone.