Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking for a smaller bag for K5 or K3 + 1 or 2 lens

I have a few nice bags, but they are essentially too big for my needs on an everyday type basis.

I recently acquired a handful of prime lenses and I want to give myself a somewhat downscale sized kit to carry with me.

The primary needs for me would be to carry

K5 + lens attached (nothing bigger than the 18-135)

And perhaps 2 or 3 of the following:

Pentax DA: 15mm, 21mm,
Pentax FA: 31mm, 43 mm, 77mm

My original thought is that a bag that can handle the camera with lens attached and one more lens compartment might work since two of those primes stacked could occupy one lens space.

I have a Tenba messenger bag and their standard insert, and the standard insert seems to be too big for what I need although if I could find a small generic messenger bag that could just fit the insert, that might be sufficient. Otherwise, I'm thinking one of the Domke bags is appealing. The 5XB or 5XC seem most likely to work for me, but I'm not sure exactly which would work (or if something else would).

09-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have this one (in fact I have two, because I got them very cheap), and I think this is about as small as you can have it for a Pentax DSLR:

Panasonic Shoulder Bag For Lumix G1 Digital Camera

It acommodates my K-5/K-3 with the DA18-135 mounted and then my DA*200 plus some smaller extras (batteries, remote, cloth).
09-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wanted the same thing for my K-3 and Limiteds, did loads of research and ended up with this........

Domke Little Bit Smaller

PERFECT!
09-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If your budget isn't limited...
Camera Gear

09-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
I wanted the same thing for my K-3 and Limiteds, did loads of research and ended up with this........

Domke Little Bit Smaller

PERFECT!
I have a F6 that holds a K5, the DA 40, 21,15 and 50-300 Zoom. Also a Kmount Holga Lens. Plus cleaning supplies etc. I also have the double ended Optitech rear cap,which allows the 21&15 to share one compartment.
Which ever bag you choose B&H sells the inserts for the new line of Domke Bags,they look like they could be useful.
09-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
The 5XB or 5XC seem most likely to work for me, but I'm not sure exactly which would work (or if something else would)
I have the Domke F-5XB. It's a great bag, but there's no way your'e going to get anything else in that bag other than the K-5 and 18-135 lens. Maybe squeeze the 21 in there, but that's it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bag and I use it a lot when I only want to bring one lens with me. Or maybe 2 smaller primes at the most.

You should purchase the Billingham Hadley "Small" bag and tell me how you like it. I'm contemplating buying that bag myself and am looking for a willing guinea pig

09-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

I don't think you can buy a better bag for what you want to carry than the Domke F-8 Small Shoulder Bag. It's like they made it specifically for Pentax DSLRs and their small primes.

At the bottom of the main compartment, I've made a divider which divides the bottom 1/2 of the bag into two halves. I can fit two smaller primes such as any of the Ltds or my FA 50/1.7 in either half. That's 4 primes in the bottom. I the photo below you can see the DA15, 21, 35 & 70 in the bottom. In the photo I'm using the Op/tech Double Lens Mount Cap to keep two lenses attached to one another, but I'll often just put the two lenses with their rear caps pointed toward one another as there'll be no scuffing of the lens bodies that way either. If I'd rather, I can put two primes in one half and a single longer lens, such as the DFA100macro, DA18-135 or FA135/2.8 in the other half.

Separating the top half from the bottom half, I've put a flap that quickly folds up and out of the way to allow access the bottom half. It doesn't completely cover the bottom half, but the camera up top has never bumped the lenses below.

In the top half I put my camera (K5) with a lens attached. With the hood reversed I can fit any of the larger lenses mentioned above in the top half. You can see my DA18-135 mounted in the photo below. I can even get the DA12-24 with hood reversed in there but that's about the biggest that will fit. I certainly cannot get the DA*50-135/2.8 in there. Well, not with a camera attached!

There's pockets on either side. My filters go in one side. Mostly the other side is left empty, but sometimes I throw in a DA40 in there or my Sony RX100 or a blower. The top lid has a small zippered pocket. I throw in an allen key for my tripod plates, the Pentax remote controller and a hotshoe spirit/bubble level in there. The front pocket is rather spacious, but well designed so nothing ever falls out. In there I've got my TriggerTrap cable, lens cloth, lens cleaning papers, Lens Pen, spare batteries and cards, a Sharpie pen, etc.

It's a fantastic camera bag and I absolutely love it with my Pentax kit. I am absolutely certain you cannot find a smaller bag to hold the K5 and 6 primes (incl the DA40 in a pocket). There's no wasted space, yet everything is easy to access and not "stuffed" in at all. The other great thing, is that when the camera is out of the bag, all the other lenses sit in the very bottom of the bag. This keeps the centre of gravity very low and the bag is well-balanced so it feels good on the shoulder and will never tip. I never close the clip (even though it's the best closure I've ever had on a bag) when the camera is out because everything in there is so secure and it makes accessing the contents of the bag even that much easier.

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2014 at 11:07 PM ----------

Hmm, my photos didn't seem to get inserted. It's been ages since I've inserted images into a posting here and I seem to have forgotten how. I can figure it out how, I'll try to fix it. In the meantime, if you right click on them and select Open Image in New Tab, it seems to work at my end. Hope it does for you too.

09-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
Forum Member

Hopefully I've got the images uploaded this time...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX1  Photo 
09-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #9

I picked up the Tarmac jazz 76 sling bag at Costco for $29 and love it. It is compact and allows me to change lens in the field standing up. I keep my k-50 with my 18-135 on it in the lower compartment and can easily carry my K28 3.5, K55 1.8 and 15mm 4.0 limited in the top pocket

On a recent trip to Mt. Rainier I replaced the 50mm with my sigma 70-300 carrying it in the top with the K28 and moving the 15mm to the bottom. You can barely fit the camera with the 70-300 mounted but it is tight and not ideal.

I use the optech sling strap and store it in the side mesh pocket although folded carefully it can be left on the camera. I do wish there was a strap above the mesh pocket that would allow me to strap my compact tripod as on the larger jazz 78 bag. But despite that it works really well for me as a grab and go set up.
09-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe this bag will do it, really good deal right now.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/270583-tamrac-3537-...bag-black.html
09-11-2014, 02:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I can't recommend this bag enough, it's absolutely amazing! Solid construction and holds pretty much what you'd need.
09-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I have the Domke F-5XB. It's a great bag, but there's no way your'e going to get anything else in that bag other than the K-5 and 18-135 lens. Maybe squeeze the 21 in there, but that's it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bag and I use it a lot when I only want to bring one lens with me. Or maybe 2 smaller primes at the most.

You should purchase the Billingham Hadley "Small" bag and tell me how you like it. I'm contemplating buying that bag myself and am looking for a willing guinea pig

Well, I think my idea is that I will either carry the camera with the 18-135 or I would carry all the primes but not a combination of primes and the 18-135. However, I'm also considering the 5XC or 803 instead. I'm also thinking of a Think Tank Retrospective 5 or 7, although the 5 there is not much better than the Domke F-5XB and the 7 is a bit like the F-803 from Domke.

As it is, I'm trying to balance size vs. what I want to carry. I already have some larger (the large Tenba Messenger Bag) bags and even a couple of holsters that could work on the small end. I think I'm hoping for something a bit bigger than a holster that doesn't look like a holster. The Domke and Think Tank bags are appealing because they don't look too camera bag-like, and the Domke ones appeal a bit more because of their slimmer profile.

The Billingham etc that others have pointed out are nice and tempting, but they aren't me. I also feel that they are almost too nice. I may get one someday for a larger system type bag, but not for walking around the city to take photos.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions. Through some other threads, I've also discovered the usefulness of Google Image Search and Flickr for seeing these bags in use and stuffed.
09-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Forum Member

Well, I think my idea is that I will either carry the camera with the 18-135 or I would carry all the primes but not a combination of primes and the 18-135. However, I'm also considering the 5XC or 803 instead. I'm also thinking of a Think Tank Retrospective 5 or 7, although the 5 there is not much better than the Domke F-5XB and the 7 is a bit like the F-803 from Domke.

As it is, I'm trying to balance size vs. what I want to carry. I already have some larger (the large Tenba Messenger Bag) bags and even a couple of holsters that could work on the small end. I think I'm hoping for something a bit bigger than a holster that doesn't look like a holster. The Domke and Think Tank bags are appealing because they don't look too camera bag-like, and the Domke ones appeal a bit more because of their slimmer profile...
I have the Domke F8 (see above) as well as the Think Tank Retrospective 5 & 7. The 5 is for my Sony RX1 & RX10 kit which is my primary kit these days (sorry Pentax). The 7 is my big camera & laptop bag. The F8 works far, far better for my Pentax kit than either of the Retrospective bags. It just fits the small Pentax lenses on the bottom and the camera up top so perfectly. I've got a lot of bags, but none work so well as the F8.
09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
Forum Member

I have a few nice bags, but they are essentially too big for my needs on an everyday type basis.

I recently acquired a handful of prime lenses and I want to give myself a somewhat downscale sized kit to carry with me.

The primary needs for me would be to carry

K5 + lens attached (nothing bigger than the 18-135)

And perhaps 2 or 3 of the following:

Pentax DA: 15mm, 21mm,
Pentax FA: 31mm, 43 mm, 77mm

My original thought is that a bag that can handle the camera with lens attached and one more lens compartment might work since two of those primes stacked could occupy one lens space.

I have a Tenba messenger bag and their standard insert, and the standard insert seems to be too big for what I need although if I could find a small generic messenger bag that could just fit the insert, that might be sufficient. Otherwise, I'm thinking one of the Domke bags is appealing. The 5XB or 5XC seem most likely to work for me, but I'm not sure exactly which would work (or if something else would).
Consider the Case Logic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISXBFI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great bag for what you describe needing/wanting. I fit any combo of 2-4 of the lenses you mention into the bag. You can also attach a tripod to make it easier to carry on a hike to your favorite spot. Room for filters and other accessories plus a nice small compartment on the shoulder strap for memory cards and an extra battery.

I chose this bag originally because of the very wide shoulder strap and I wanted a simple sling bag not a backpack or even a messenger bag. Also for $38 it's a nice value. I've used mine for 3yrs now and have always like it except when I forget it's for a fast light kit not to try and carry everything; I have other bags for the kitchen sink.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 09-11-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typos