Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Billingham Hadley Pro or Small Bag?

I'm stuck between purchasing these two fine camera bags. Does anyone here have experience with either? I want to pack my K-5 with FA 31 or DA*16-50 attached and store another lens or two. Either two primes or my DA*50-135 or F*300. So no more than one large lens and the rest medium or small. So I need 2 lenses at a minimum and possibly three if 2 are kept smaller. I will probably keep my Metz flash in one of the front pockets. I just don't want to carry too large of a bag around. It has to be convenient too.

The bags I currently own are the Domke F-803 and the Domke F-5XB, both wonderful bags in their own right, but again I'm looking for something different.

Pro Hadley

Small Hadley

I actually prefer the Sage/Chocolate combo, but the small does not have that color combo.

09-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Large, but maybe the Pro for you, might be time to get the tape measure out.
09-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I have the Large, but maybe the Pro for you, might be time to get the tape measure out.
The large is bigger than both the small and Pro bag correct? So I think it goes Small, Pro, large in terms of size?
09-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
The large is bigger than both the small and Pro bag correct? So I think it goes Small, Pro, large in terms of size?
Yes large is bigger, will fit a 13 or 15" laptop slid down the back, I hope someone that uses the lenses and Pro bag can chime in. I have the K-5 with 17-50 attached in the centre section, can stack 2-3 small/medium size lenses in one of the other sections and a flash in the third section. I use small bits of high density foam between the lenses and as extra cushion on the bottom just to be safe.
I did previously have a Canon 60D with 60mm lens attached, 70-300 in one section and flash and 40mm in the other, at that stage i tested with a friends Hadley Pro and determined that for the Canon gear it would be too small, and i want to get a laptop in the back when needed, so I purchased the Hadley Large in Black.

09-11-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Yes large is bigger, will fit a 13 or 15" laptop slid down the back, I hope someone that uses the lenses and Pro bag can chime in. I have the K-5 with 17-50 attached in the centre section, can stack 2-3 small/medium size lenses in one of the other sections and a flash in the third section. I use small bits of high density foam between the lenses and as extra cushion on the bottom just to be safe.
I did previously have a Canon 60D with 60mm lens attached, 70-300 in one section and flash and 40mm in the other, at that stage i tested with a friends Hadley Pro and determined that for the Canon gear it would be too small, and i want to get a laptop in the back when needed, so I purchased the Hadley Large in Black.
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have any pics of your bag and gear? I'm looking primarily for a day bag I can carry my K-5 and a few lenses around. I've got an iPad but it's not necessary to carry with me. My Domke F-803 is just a smidge tight so that's why I was looking for something a bit easier, although not necessarily larger to carry gear. Just a smarter design
09-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is late here now, must get some sleep, but, I can do some pics tomorrow. On the weekend if my friend is home I will be able to do some of the Hadley Pro bag too, but that is a few days away, hopefully someone with that bag can chime in before then.
09-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've poured over dozens of videos on YouTube regarding the Billingham Hadley bags in both small and Pro but not one shows any Pentax gear and few show DSLR stuff. Mainly that cheap Leica crap

09-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, after poring over even more youtube video's and google threads,

. The Pro is larger than my current Domke F 803 bag and I definitely want a smaller bag. bhphotovideo has a great price so I'll probably purchase it there.
After I get it I'll do my own thorough review on youtube so others can see what Pentax gear may or may not fit inside the bag.

Still wavering between the two

Last edited by Driline; 09-12-2014 at 11:17 AM.
09-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sorry a busy day, will get some photos up tomorrow being a Saturday.
09-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok I finally took the plunge. I decided to go for the Hadley Pro. I really like the Sage and Chocolate leather combo. Apparently too many other people do as well since Bhphotovideo is out of stock at the moment. I ordered it anyway so as soon as they arrive in stock I'll get one. I'll still do a YouTube review on how the Pentax K-5 and lenses fit into the bag. So stay tuned.
09-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sorry Driline, wasn't able to get the photos for you, maybe later.
09-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I couldn't wait for B&Hphotovideo to get in the color bag I wanted since it was back ordered, so I ordered a new one from pop flash photo out of California. Should be here next week. Oh, and I paid less for it too
09-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Billingham Hadley Pro video review as promised. I also showcase the size differences between the Domke F-803 and F-5XB series bags as well.