Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Another flash recommendation, thoughts on AF160?

https://www.keh.com/search/list?s=af160+flash

One of them is a "GN48" and the other a "GN52" and I'm not sure what that means.

I saw elsewhere of the net that the AF160 is a good vintage flash to compliment my ME super. Are either of the flashes I linked any good? If someone could make a recommendation that would be great! I'm open to all suggestions I just want it to work with my ME super in some sort of auto mode.

TIA

Last edited by cohny; 09-17-2014 at 01:04 PM.
09-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The GN value KEH gives is the "Guide Number", in feet. It's an indicator of how powerful the flash is. With a GN of 48, at ISO 100, the AF160 should give a correct exposure at f/4 for a subject 12 feet away (4*12=48). For comparison, the modern AF540FGZ has a Guide Number (in feet) of 148.

The AF160 is small and light (only two AA batteries), and about as powerful as the popup flash on a DSLR. It only has three modes - two automatic, and one manual (full power). The AF160AS is about the same. I don't have personal experience with the AF160SA, but either of them should work fine on the ME Super. Basically, you set the camera to flash sync (1/125) mode, choose either the 'near' or 'far' auto mode on the flash, read the appropriate aperture for your ISO off the back of the flash, set that on your lens, and fire away!

For about the same price, I personally prefer the AF200T - it's a little more powerful, and has four manual power settings along with the two auto modes. It uses four AA batteries instead of two, so it's a little heavier. If also has a couple sliding tabs on the back to figure out the correct aperture instead of a printed label.

From the forum review database:
PENTAX AF 160 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
PENTAX AF 160SA reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
PENTAX AF 200T reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
09-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have to be careful because some guide numbers are quoted in feet, and some in meters. For computation purposes feet is fine, for purposes of comparing relative output power of different flash guns, meters should be the only measurement used. Unfortunately camera retailers don't necessarily agree with me.
09-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I was a little surprised that KEH lists the guide number in feet instead of meters.