Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spare battery for K50

I always like to have a spare battery on hand for my cameras. I'm getting the K50. I see on the B&H site the Pentax battery is $45, while they list a "Watson" 7.4v 1050mAh for $20! Would the Watson be recommended; or go for the Pentax?

Thanks, Carol

09-20-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used third-party batteries with good success, though I have found that the capacity is often overstated. The B&H Watson batteries are popular on this site as are the Wasabi brand available through Amazon and from Blue Nook (Wasabi distributors). I currently have a pair of Wasabi for my K-3. A bundle of two batteries (1400 mAh) plus a rapid charger with car adapter for your camera is about $25 USD. In regards to the Wasabi...they have a three-year warranty, but my understanding is that the handling fee + shipping is close to the price of a replacement.

Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI109 and Pentax K-r, K-30, K-50, K-500 : Battery & Charger Kits

You might also want to consider the AA adapter for your camera as an alternative.

Steve
09-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve, thanks! I'll look into the AA adapter as well.

Carol
09-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Huy
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a cheap knock-off AA adapter and a Panasonic eneloop power pack kit to use with both my K-50 and an external flash.

09-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I like the carrying case for this eneloop power pack; very convenient!
09-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #6

I have all three. They are all good. I like the battery adaptor - I think that fully charged NiMH batteries with a large capacity will hold more power than either of the two LiOn packs
The only suggestion I would make is to get rechargeable AA batteries that hold their charge. I bought regular high capacity NiMH batteries and I find that when the battery pack is in the camera and the adapter and NiMH battery have been in the camera bag, they have lost a lot of their charge.
09-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the Wasabi battery and you'll need the two pack because it only lasts about half as long as the Pentax brand although they claim it has more capacity.I'd get the Pentax battery since it will last twice as long as the Wasabi and it sucks when your battery runs out when you really need it.

09-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I always like to have a spare battery on hand for my cameras. I'm getting the K50. I see on the B&H site the Pentax battery is $45, while they list a "Watson" 7.4v 1050mAh for $20! Would the Watson be recommended; or go for the Pentax?

Thanks, Carol
OEM batteries will almost always give you better battery life and reliability. However, if you always want to have a backup batter just in case your main battery runs dry, then it's not a bad idea to pick up an off brand battery. Just be sure to check the reviews first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for great information! I had no idea so many choices were available! I think I'll stick with the OEM type, either Pentax or the Watson (will check reviews); as I wish to purchase everything I can from B&H.
09-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Wasabi and Halcyon batteries are good and both can be found on Amazon in multipacks for very reasonable prices with or without chargers. I like their chargers actually because there is no long cord. You just put it straight into the wall socket. Much less bulky. I got like 4 batteries and a charger for $30 for both my K-30 and my Oly's. It was very affordable.
09-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The OEM battery is definitely superior. I have the Wasabi alternative as a spare and it is reliable, but has its quirks. If my K-30 ever freezes up or fails to come on (even though I knew the battery was plenty charged the last time I turned it off) or has some similar malfunction, the first thing I do is pop the battery out and back in. Every single time I've had to do this, it was the Wasabi battery in the camera, and not the Pentax. It's a minor inconvenience, considering the Wasabi cell cost me $10 and the Pentax cell was $50.

I also have the cheap $6 AA adapter that I occasionally use with Eneloops. It has identical quirks to the Wasabi cell and the Eneloops don't last nearly as long as the Li-ion, so the AA adapter has been collecting dust for over a year. It's good to keep around as an option, though!
09-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #12

I bought those a few weeks ago and they work fine. I mostly use the battery that came with the camera and switch for those whenever it's low. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00598PMY2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1...4RWDJHS4VPBB7T
09-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got two MaximalPower 1200Ma Li109 battery for about $7 each and I can't tell any difference in performance from the Pentax original.

I also got some no-name 2000Ma batteries and they are significantly worse than the original.

A knock-off AA battery holder for about $3 works fine.
09-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This Synergy Digital one holds a charge as well as my genuine Pentax one. I bought mine through East Coast Photo, an "authorized Synergy dealer"

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-Battery-Lithium/dp/B0089PYYA0/re...ds=k30+battery
09-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've decided to go with the Pentax. Even though it's much more expensive.