Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which wide angle lens hood?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm trying to find the right hood for Vivitar 20mm f/3.8 lens, 82mm thread. Which one should I buy, petal, normal, short, long?
I can not find any information what kind of hood that lens had originally, if it did.

10-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #2

The current wide-angle zooms by Pentax, Sigma or Tamron (10-24mm range) all have petal hoods. After a quick check it seems like the primes do as well. But don't ask me why those are used. ;-)
Hmm, would actually be quite interesting to know, how different hood forms impact the results.
10-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I read in reviews that some petal hoods are not really good for 20mm, too long and affect focusing and images with shadow.
10-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In general, petal hoods are only best if they are custom-made for the particular lens. (Or just happen to be right, but yaknow.) At a guess you might try one of the not-so-tall 'wide angle' labelled metal hoods that don't flare out, just because that lens is already an 82mm thread and a flared one might just be too wide to fit anywhere.

(FYI, I like the S&W brand of metal hoods and step rings, there at least used to be a good Ebay seller of the things, heavy2stars, if I recall, (it's been a few years so I don't know if he's still around) among others, ...he's usually got all the sizes and depths around though, if the old pattern holds and he's nice about measuring things and returns if it's a tricky fit. (Though generally these hoods are cheap enough returns aren't a big deal.)

If you'd like a big wide flared one, those seem to just be searchable from various places. Come to think of it you might also see rubber versions around if anyone still makes those. They may not shade much but make decent bumpers.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-05-2014 at 04:42 PM.
10-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
FYI, I like the S&W brand of metal hoods and step rings, there at least used to be a good Ebay seller of the things, heavy2stars, if I recall
I would also recommend heavystar's S&W metal hoods. The "wide" version is intended for field of view similar to 28mm on 35mm film.

Other Brand Hoods items in 82mm store on eBay!

Steve
10-06-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
At a guess you might try one of the not-so-tall 'wide angle' labelled metal hoods that don't flare out
Aye kinda like this one, it's the original Pentax hood for the SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, they do end up pretty wide, this one has 67mm thread and ends up just shy of 100mm diameter.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/post-your-photos/172379d13687...-new-honey.jpg

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-06-2014 at 01:40 AM.
10-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye kinda like this one, it's the original Pentax hood for the SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, they do end up pretty wide, this one has 67mm thread and ends up just shy of 100mm diameter.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/post-your-photos/172379d13687...-new-honey.jpg
Does kinda look cool, though. I think my biggest hood is a collapsible three-position rubber one for a 35-105 I sue on my film Canons. 72mm thread and quite huge. I call it 'The Front Porch.' Mostly I would use it when it was snowing because it'd be easy to keep the front element dry with it extended, and collapse it down to shoot. Normally a very little metal one lives on that lens, though: the lens vignettes easily and the stock hood is about the same in the end.

10-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Does kinda look cool, though.
Strangely enough when I'm out and about... of all the wonderful lenses I have, it's this set up that gets the most enquiring quizzical looks.