Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking for Light Shoulder Strap

Rather than clutter my Domke strap post, I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for a longer shoulder strap (looking for something around 48+ inches) that is relatively comfortable and compact.

I have a couple of Neoprene straps for my previous camera. I like them, but they're a bit bulky, and I now know they are more than I need. I like the strap that my Domke camera bag has, so I'd like something similar. I'm not sure that Domke's camera straps are long enough (I'm a tall guy).

While not critical, I do like the idea of having quick releases (along the lines of Op/Tech's system) as I could potentially extend a strap length easily, and it makes it easy to remove the strap for Tripod photography, etc. However, that isn't too critical. I can get creative as needed.

Thanks

-Erik

10-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know Domke straps but I'm a dedicated user of Black Rapid Camera straps. BlackRapid.com Home of The Original Camera Sling

I've been using them since 2009 and have seen them expand their line quite a bit. They aren't cheap but they are very comfortable and seriously usable. Check them out.
10-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the OpTech system, and have several loops and extenders. They see heavy use, and I have never had a failure.
10-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not familier with Domke or Black Rapid straps. I tried a neoprene and did not care for it.

The shoulder strap I am sold on is the Tamrac N-45, with brown suede pad. One came on the LX I bought 2-3 years ago, and I liked that strap enough to have purchased a few more since.

The N-45 has a 50" max. length, quick releases, and a ~10"x 2" suede pad at the shoulder peak.

10-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I use the OpTech system, and have several loops and extenders. They see heavy use, and I have never had a failure.
I had the OpTech system, but they use neoprene quite extensively, and I don't really want it anymore. If they made some non-neoprene straps, I'd use them in a heartbeat. I love the flexibility with the loops and extenders they provide.

Recently, I'm trying to make my system a little more compact, which means cutting down on the bag and what needs to fit in the bag. The neoprene straps take up some serious space.

OpTech was what I had for my K10d, and I had a Crumpler Industry Disgrace for my K5. That was also a wonderful, yet bulky strap. It was mostly better than the OpTech system except the lack of quick connectors. It made twisting of the strap and issue, and my reliance on a tripod over time made it difficult.
10-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Recently, I'm trying to make my system a little more compact, which means cutting down on the bag and what needs to fit in the bag. The neoprene straps take up some serious space.
Ooops.. sorry about that. I glossed right over your mention of wanting to avoid neoprene in your original post. Good luck in your search!
10-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
I am not familier with Domke or Black Rapid straps. I tried a neoprene and did not care for it.

The shoulder strap I am sold on is the Tamrac N-45, with brown suede pad. One came on the LX I bought 2-3 years ago, and I liked that strap enough to have purchased a few more since.

The N-45 has a 50" max. length, quick releases, and a ~10"x 2" suede pad at the shoulder peak.
I just recently spotted that one. That is mostly along the line of what I wanted. I also saw the N-40 is somewhat similar (without the suede pad), but the N-40 is also a bit too loud looking for my tastes. The N-45 may be the right one for me. Thanks.
10-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak design shoulder straps are very light and unobtrusive.