Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Split Image Focusing Screen Question.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

OK OK...I said I have enough stuff but I just thought of one more thing. A Split Image Focusing Screen. I have a few lens that seem to be ideal for using in a Manual Focus mode...especially that 100mm Macro I have...and the stock focusing screen just doesn't seem to cut it for me with my eyes being the way they are.

I know the recommended choice is a KatzEye but I just have to ask...are those Chinese focusing screens that go for around $25 OK? Here's a link to one of them now. As you can see this one says that the screen is 1.35mm thick and Pentax uses screens that are 1.42mm thick and I may have to use the included shim. Can anyone that has one of these give me their opinion on them...or is it really better to get a KatzEye?

And after this I don't need anything else.....

05-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Chinese ones, and they are great. Save my life when I was using the 50/1.2 and DFA100marco and also when shooting at night where i will switch to MF, the only worry is that when you use the kit lens, since u will start seeing black/darken microprism at around f5.6, I only exp. that when I was using DA50-200 f4-5.6 when it reach to the end of the range and aperture goes to f5.6; other than that I am very happy with it

hope this will help

P.S. Enough is never enough :P
05-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks...did yours come with a shim and did you use it?
05-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No it doesn't come with shim, well the seller sell it too but there is no need for that
just make sure you are in a clean room and keep the window open so less dust is in the room. I install it first time no problem and no dust