Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Battery chargers and cable mess

Hi. I am interested to know how you guys manage all the cables that come with all the battery chargers for your cameras. I now have these chargers and cables in the house and managing the cable mess is becoming a bit of a nightmare.

3 x D-LI90 chargers (K7, K-01, K-3)
1 x D-LI109 charger for the K-30
1 x charger for the newly bought Q-S1
1 x charger for my Canon S95
1 x smart charger for my eneloops

The cables are all using figure 8 type cables and they are also pretty long. I thought of cutting them and shortening them but there are a lot of cables I need to muck around with...ideally I would like a multi charger device for these batteries but they are not USB chargers.

My phones and tablets on the other hand are a lot easier to manage with the use of USB multiport chargers.

Any advice and recommendation?

Thanks

10-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have small table with a drawer:
multiple switched socket-outlet extension, with 3 cables attached; cables with bluelounge cable clips (Cabledrop) attached to the back of the small table (to keep them in place).
as the plugs for all these devices are the same I just need to plug-in the needed charger... the chargers are in the drawer... the not required cables are stored in the basement...
10-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks max_pyne. Interesting idea for a permanent charging station.

Last edited by raider; 10-20-2014 at 06:08 AM.
10-20-2014, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Cable? What cable? - Linky

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The charger that came with my Wasabi batteries is far superior to the original Pentax charger. Only $27 USD for a charger plus 2 batteries, and I've been using the batteries for years with no problems. http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-2-Pack-Charger/dp/B004UR7250

The mains plug folds into the charger body so no long cable most of the time. It also has a removable coiled cable for charging from a car 12V jack.

I'm not sure whether the Wasabi chargers can be ordered with Australian plugs.
10-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that info. I didn't know you can find a figure 8 plug converter like that. This is a good way to get rid of the cables but how then do you use several chargers together because they now don't fit into standard plug boards because of their widths. I am guessing you have to plug one charger into a wall socket individually?
10-20-2014, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks for that info. I didn't know you can find a figure 8 plug converter like that. This is a good way to get rid of the cables but how then do you use several chargers together because they now don't fit into standard plug boards because of their widths. I am guessing you have to plug one charger into a wall socket individually?
Use something like this if you have to plug in multiple chargers without long cords, or a ong power strip and use every other outlet. Chargers are low amperage and won't overload the outlet. Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 1.5 ft 1 to 4 Power Cord Splitter: Electronics
10-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the Pearstone charger. No cords and it has interchangeable plates to fit all of your Pentax batteries. Oh and a USB output as well all in a package the size of the pentax charger without the cord! By far and away the best solution I've seen.

10-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again. I like that "Cables to go" solution. I have been searching ebay so far no results however.

---------- Post added 10-21-2014 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
Check out the Pearstone charger. No cords and it has interchangeable plates to fit all of your Pentax batteries. Oh and a USB output as well all in a package the size of the pentax charger without the cord! By far and away the best solution I've seen.
Thanks. I checked the website and ebay as well. I can only find the charger that is compatible with D-LI78 and not the D-LI90. which model do you have?
10-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an Optio A40, K10D, K-01, Q, Q7 and K-3. I label each charger plate with the camera and battery number and store them in a clear freezer zip bag. I keep one cable plugged in next to my desk.
10-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recently bought a new charger for my K-30's battery. It has a swing out electrical outlet plug. No cable.
10-22-2014, 03:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see I can get those chargers with a lift-off plug but these are of limited use to me really...I would like that "cable to go" solution but unable to find these on ebay.
10-22-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't. I leave those at home and use the direct style wall chargers instead. Most of the generic chargers will also charge the official batteries and most of them plug directly into the wall and have fold in prongs. They take up far less space in the bag. I hardly ever use my official ones now actually, unless I want to charge more than 2 batteries at a time. FYI, you can find them on Amazon...
10-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been searching for Figure 8 to C7 australia adaptor on eBay and I didn't get very much hits and I was wondering why. It turns out that a better search term is "australia apple Power Adapter" and this search term landed me something like this:

AU Australia AC Power Adapter Converter Plug for Apple iBook MacBook iPhone iPad | eBay

Exactly what I need to convert my charger to a direct wall plug charger. Thanks!
10-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Thanks again. I like that "Cables to go" solution. I have been searching ebay so far no results however.

---------- Post added 10-21-2014 at 08:24 AM ----------

Thanks. I checked the website and ebay as well. I can only find the charger that is compatible with D-LI78 and not the D-LI90. which model do you have?
Raider - The Pearstone charger I have looks like the DLI-72 version at B&H

Pearstone Compact AC/DC Charger for D-LI72 Type ADCPEDLI72 B&H

I bought plates for DLi-50, Q battery and K5/K3. I've had it a while so maybe they don't support Pentax anymore. That would be a shame since it is by far the best charger design I've seen. Too bad.