Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Ed in GA

AF 540 FGZ for wireless in concert with the AF 360 FGZ

I have just purchased the AF540FGZ Flash unit which I intend using as my off camera flash. I have the K100D so it will require the 360 to trigger it.

My question for those who use off camera flash.

What do you use to mount to a tripod? Is there an adapter available for just that purpose? I know Pentax makes an off camera shoe adapter but I beliive it is intended to use with a cable connection. ( I may be wrong there).

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Last edited by Ed in GA; 01-30-2007 at 02:48 PM.
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I have just purchased the AF540FGZ Flash unit which I intend using as my off camera flash. I have the K100D so it will require the 360 to trigger it.

My question for those who use off camera flash.

What do you use to mount to a tripod? Is there an adapter available for just that purpose? I know Pentax makes an off camera shoe adapter but I beliive it is intended to use with a cable connection. ( I may be wrong there).

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ed
I have an old strobo-frame (the cheapest version at the time) from OM days, so I mount the flash on that and mount the frame on the tripod. I suspect there's less expensive alternatives though.
01-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Mounting Your Flash

There is a VERY cheap way....try to find a Canon table stand, which happens to have a screw mount on it already for easy attachment to most light stands OR your tripod.

If not, then a umbrella stand adapter may be in order from

http://mpex.com/default.aspx

Call them...they are very helpful.
Attached Images

01-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a pair of Pentax Hotshoe adapters.

On the left a cable and hotshoe (camera side) adapter; bottom (shown) is 1/4in tripod female screw.

On the right the hotshoe (flash side shown) to hotshoe + cable adapter.

There is also a hotshoe to cable adapter and a hotshoe-hotshoe-pc adapter.

Last edited by jfdavis58; 05-07-2007 at 10:18 AM.
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
I have an old strobo-frame (the cheapest version at the time) from OM days, so I mount the flash on that and mount the frame on the tripod. I suspect there's less expensive alternatives though.

That's a good idea. I had getting a stroboframe in mind as well.

Thanks
01-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
There is a VERY cheap way....try to find a Canon table stand, which happens to have a screw mount on it already for easy attachment to most light stands OR your tripod.

If not, then a umbrella stand adapter may be in order from

New and Used Photograhy Equipment

Call them...they are very helpful.
Thanks, I'll give them a call. They probably have some other things I want as well.

Ed
01-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
This is a pair of Pentax Hotshoe adapters.

On the left a cable and hotshoe (camera side) adapter; bottom (shown) is 1/4in tripod female screw.

On the right the hotshoe (flash side shown) to hotshoe + cable adapter.

There is also a hotshoe to cable adapter and a hotshoe-hotshoe-pc adapter.

Thanks John,

I may end up having to get this set up.

Ed
05-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote

Ed
I have been considering the AF540FGZ for use with the K100D. I thought it was fully compatible with the camera. So you are saying that the cameras built in flash will not trigger it remotely? Does this limitation apply to the AF360FGZ flash by itself as well? I have looked at the downloaded pdf manual and I am confused.

05-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #9

I'd be inclined to get the umbrella stand adapter. There are good cheap ones to be had and then you will have the option of not only having your flash off camera but with an umbrelly too.

QuoteOriginally posted by SayCheese Quote
I have been considering the AF540FGZ for use with the K100D. I thought it was fully compatible with the camera. So you are saying that the cameras built in flash will not trigger it remotely? Does this limitation apply to the AF360FGZ flash by itself as well? I have looked at the downloaded pdf manual and I am confused.
The 360 and 540 are fully compatible with the K100D. But, the K100D's on board flash does not have the feature of the optical wireless communication that the *ist D and K10D have. This is why, if you want to do wireless off-camera shooting with something besides the two aforementioned camera models you will need any combo of those two flash models, or something like a pocket wizard. I have not seen any info on the as yet to be released non-bounce flash, I wonder if that might be a cheaper alternative to buying a second 360 or 540. Of course there is the option of using a flash as an optical slave but it won't have the flash control that the wireless method provides, and then there will also be the pre-flash from a pttl system, like the K100D's on-board flash that you will also have to deal with using just an optical slave trigger.

Best bet - turf your K100D and buy 1 - AF540FGZ and 1 - K10D. Then your flash dilemma is no more.
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #10

I use a vivitar 285HV off camera with RF transmitters that cost me $20 at gadgetinfinity.com. The receiver even doubles as an umbrella bracket, which is a nice touch.
05-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

sorry to bust the buble but if you plan on using the built in slave in the flashes, you will verry spotty results for wirless flash at distance past 10-15 feet in a smaller room than what you will be in. I recomend getting some of the cheep RF transmiters like recomended above, or if you have the $$ Pocketwizards are the best.