Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I use a lowepro microtrekker which holds 2 bodies, a 70-200/2.8 a 28-75/2.8 and a 10-20.

The only issue I have and thins is an issue with all small bags, is the straps. The shoulder straps and hip/waist strap come off the body of the pack, and since the body is small, you can have the shoulder and chest straps correctly placed, with the waist strap around your stomach, or the shoulder straps lengthened to have the waist strap on your hips where it should be, but then no padding on your shoulders, and the chest strap around your neck.

The issue with all small packs really is they lack a proper harness arrangement.
This is most important with ANY backpack. While fitting your camera gear and convenience is important, if it doesn't fit your body it will make your life miserable. If it will be mostly a storage bag and you are only carrying it for short periods of time, them it isn't all that important. If you plan on having this on your back for a few hours or all day, go to a store and buy one that fits. The larger one might be best even if you don't need the space because the weight of the bag should fall on your hips.

10-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
Need a bag that fits my requirements...
There is no such thing.
As I always advise regarding bags; they only come in two sizes. Too big and too small.
10-28-2014, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
This is most important with ANY backpack. While fitting your camera gear and convenience is important, if it doesn't fit your body it will make your life miserable. If it will be mostly a storage bag and you are only carrying it for short periods of time, them it isn't all that important. If you plan on having this on your back for a few hours or all day, go to a store and buy one that fits. The larger one might be best even if you don't need the space because the weight of the bag should fall on your hips.
Too big is always a short time issue, as LBA and CBA ensures that any extra space will soon be filled
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There is no such thing.
As I always advise regarding bags; they only come in two sizes. Too big and too small.
There is no such thing as too big, and there is no such thing as a single bag that meets all requirements.

When I travel I consider A) how to get my gear from home to my destination, then I cosnsidr what I will do when I get to my destination. This can mean that I take 2 bags. Typically one that holds all the gear I take, plus Ipad or web book, etc... Then a second bag for when I am there. For example I might have a bag that holds 3-6 lenses,mflash, 2 bodies etc. but only carry all that for specific occasions, then if I am in a city for part of the trip, I scale back to one camera in hand and a second with another lens in. A shoulder bag.

I usually don't need a 400-500mm lens in a city so why carry the extra 2-3 kilos
10-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Too big is always a short time issue, as LBA and CBA ensures that any extra space will soon be filled

There is no such thing as too big, and there is no such thing as a single bag that meets all requirements.

When I travel I consider A) how to get my gear from home to my destination, then I cosnsidr what I will do when I get to my destination. This can mean that I take 2 bags. Typically one that holds all the gear I take, plus Ipad or web book, etc... Then a second bag for when I am there. For example I might have a bag that holds 3-6 lenses,mflash, 2 bodies etc. but only carry all that for specific occasions, then if I am in a city for part of the trip, I scale back to one camera in hand and a second with another lens in. A shoulder bag.

I usually don't need a 400-500mm lens in a city so why carry the extra 2-3 kilos
I think this is the best advise sofar.
A backpack needs to fit comfortably for the gear you carry. And that all depends how much gear. I have a smallish backpack for daily commute to work. So it will be on my back for max 30 minutes if I decide to take a detour to take some pictures. So shoulderstraps, waistband etc do not have to be that padded, as it will be comfortable for that time. My backpack that goes with me on surftrips has to be well padded with a good waistband. As heavy lenses will be in the backpack. for skateboarding, again other requirements. etc etc.

So the question is, what will you be using the bag for? Just as your daily to bag, or are you also trekking, hiking etc.
Does it need to hold a waterbladder, do you want to take personal stuff, if you do how much.

Therefore there is more to just asking for a bag that will hold a certain amount of gear, the quetion should also be what are you intent to do with it.

ps, one thing is a must though. If you will be wearing it for a longer period, or if it will be heavy with camera stuff. A good waistband is a must.

10-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There is no such thing.
I was too naive when I got a small backpack to put my K-x with my 18-55 and my 55-300.
10-30-2014, 04:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I keep 3 bags; 1 rolling for when I need outdoor lighting set up. 1 large air cushioned for traveling and hiking, 1 small for carrying minimal gear but for the most part now I use a good quality vest and a good camera strap setup. With the vest if I want I can carry 5-6 large and small size lenses or less lenses and a flash or two with radio triggers , filters, my lens cleaning gear and if I feel like it an extra battery and still have room for more but usually I don't carry all that all of the time. That way everything is at my finger tips, I don't have to swing a bag around or set it down to change gear and I find it more comfortable and less cumbersome.