Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Need an bag that fits my requirements...

My current set up consist of:
K5ii, Tamron 70-200, Pentax 50, Pentax 35, 1 Flash, 1 Tripod, 1 Filter pouch, and many small accessories.

I'm using the Incase Ari bag to carry all of these equipment at the moment, but I've noticed that its getting heavier and heavier to carry it with all those weights going into one shoulder. therefore, i'm thinking of buying an backpack for events where i might need to carry all the equipment under longer duration.

Does anybody have a recommendation for an backpack that will fits all of my equip and under 100$?

I'm currently looking at the Lowpro 250 AW, and it seems like an good fit. Has anybody tried this bag out before? and what do you think if it will fit my needs?
DSLR Video Fastpack 250 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

10-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like my Lowepro Photosport 200 AW when I need to carry a fair bit of gear. However, it will probably cost you closer to $150. You might be able to find it for less on eBay.

Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Backpack (Black) LP36353 B&H Photo

When I was looking for a camera backpack, I looked very closely at the weight of the bags, as well as other features, and this is one of the lightest that had all the features I wanted (including a raincover, side access, tripod pocket (or straps below), room for accessories, etc. I have a very bad back and this pack is super-comfortable even when fully loaded. The weight is well-distributed and the waist strap makes a big difference in lifting the load off my shoulders. When I'm photographing rescue animals (farm sanctuary or at adoption drives for dogs), I'm moving around a lot, standing up, crouching down, moving from side-to-side - and I have nowhere to leave my stuff to one side - so it's all on my back. It's also a great bag for travelling (on the plane and at my destination - it went to Borneo with me, among other places.

I usually pack it as follows: the padded, side access camera compartment holds my K-3 with either the Sigma 17-70 or Pentax 55-300 attached; adjacent section in camera compartment holds the other large lens plus the 77mm. In the top-loading compartment, the flash and possibly a 2nd small lens sit down at the bottom of the pack and held fairly snugly by being adjacent to (but on the other side of the camera compartment). I also fit items like cables, Gary Fong light diffuser etc in the top compartment (could also hold your filter pouch, wallet etc). The outside open pocket can hold a flash bender (if I don't bring the Fong). There is a zip internal pocket for small items I want to keep secure (e.g., wallet, passport, phone). A zip compartment on the top of the bag holds extra memory cards, brush, lens cleaning cloths, spare batteries, business cards, etc. There is a pocket on the side that, with a little ingenuity, you can rig to hold your tripod (or you can attach your tripod to the bottom straps. There also are two very small pockets in the waist belt that you can use to hold memory cards or a very skinny wallet - too small for today's larger phones.

The only quibbles I have with it are as follows: It's pretty easy to lose (in the bag, not forever) the stuff you put in the top-loading compartment because it's not subdivided. (That's the trade-off I guess for having a flexible, large compartment in a lightweight bag.) I deal with it by putting some of the easy-lose-small stuff in a small, lightweight mesh bag - easier to find. I also wish the bag was solid black, instead of black and grey, because the bag looks very sporty. That's fine for most purposes but sometimes you want a bag that is more discreet and professional-looking.
10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I really like my Lowepro Photosport 200 AW when I need to carry a fair bit of gear. However, it will probably cost you closer to $150. You might be able to find it for less on eBay.

Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Backpack (Black) LP36353 B&H Photo

When I was looking for a camera backpack, I looked very closely at the weight of the bags, as well as other features, and this is one of the lightest that had all the features I wanted (including a raincover, side access, tripod pocket (or straps below), room for accessories, etc. I have a very bad back and this pack is super-comfortable even when fully loaded. The weight is well-distributed and the waist strap makes a big difference in lifting the load off my shoulders. When I'm photographing rescue animals (farm sanctuary or at adoption drives for dogs), I'm moving around a lot, standing up, crouching down, moving from side-to-side - and I have nowhere to leave my stuff to one side - so it's all on my back. It's also a great bag for travelling (on the plane and at my destination - it went to Borneo with me, among other places.

I usually pack it as follows: the padded, side access camera compartment holds my K-3 with either the Sigma 17-70 or Pentax 55-300 attached; adjacent section in camera compartment holds the other large lens plus the 77mm. In the top-loading compartment, the flash and possibly a 2nd small lens sit down at the bottom of the pack and held fairly snugly by being adjacent to (but on the other side of the camera compartment). I also fit items like cables, Gary Fong light diffuser etc in the top compartment (could also hold your filter pouch, wallet etc). The outside open pocket can hold a flash bender (if I don't bring the Fong). There is a zip internal pocket for small items I want to keep secure (e.g., wallet, passport, phone). A zip compartment on the top of the bag holds extra memory cards, brush, lens cleaning cloths, spare batteries, business cards, etc. There is a pocket on the side that, with a little ingenuity, you can rig to hold your tripod (or you can attach your tripod to the bottom straps. There also are two very small pockets in the waist belt that you can use to hold memory cards or a very skinny wallet - too small for today's larger phones.

The only quibbles I have with it are as follows: It's pretty easy to lose (in the bag, not forever) the stuff you put in the top-loading compartment because it's not subdivided. (That's the trade-off I guess for having a flexible, large compartment in a lightweight bag.) I deal with it by putting some of the easy-lose-small stuff in a small, lightweight mesh bag - easier to find. I also wish the bag was solid black, instead of black and grey, because the bag looks very sporty. That's fine for most purposes but sometimes you want a bag that is more discreet and professional-looking.
It does seems like its about 1 LB less than the 250 AW that i was looking at. but then, it also seems like to be an a little larger bag as well.
my main concern is how will it hold the 70-200 comfortably, as it it the main concern that i have with any bag.

Also, i am also considering to purchase an uwa such as (15, 10-17, 6-18, etc.), but i think most bag can accommodate these smaller lens.
10-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it would probably hold the 70-200 separately, in the secondary chamber in the padded camera section - but it probably wouldn't hold it attached to the camera. The larger size PhotoSport (the 300) probably would.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the water bladder in the back of the pack is a good place to store a tablet or small, slim computer. My Asus 11.1" computer fit in there.

10-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

Hi. Well, i've got this one - Case Logic SLRC-206-BLACK. Was much cheaper then more popular brands. One might say the quality is not the same, but after a year of use cant say a bad word. Only thing to consider, that it might not look like a regular backpack, so that means to be more cautious in rough neighborhoods. Then again it's not a popular brand, which everybody knows, and carrying a tripod around will bring more attention to you.
10-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr Radzins - That Case Logic bag looks like a great, moderately priced option if you're carrying a longer lens and it looks more urban/less sporty, which could be good for some assignments. It does look like it be deeper than my bag, which has its pluses and minuses. Plus - more gear. Minus - could make it harder to stay balanced. I've found that if a bag sticks out too much in the back, I have a tendency to tip over ... I prefer bags that aren't as deep and maybe are longer in the body to compensate.
10-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Radzins Quote
Hi. Well, i've got this one - Case Logic SLRC-206-BLACK. Was much cheaper then more popular brands. One might say the quality is not the same, but after a year of use cant say a bad word. Only thing to consider, that it might not look like a regular backpack, so that means to be more cautious in rough neighborhoods. Then again it's not a popular brand, which everybody knows, and carrying a tripod around will bring more attention to you.
Wow, that looks like an fully dedicated camera bag. and it seems like it would take any lens that i might throw at it, but i dont think i have that much gear and would rather trade some of the lens room for other stuff.

but i can definitely see 70-200 fit that bag on/off camera!

10-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
Wow, that looks like an fully dedicated camera bag. and it seems like it would take any lens that i might throw at it, but i dont think i have that much gear and would rather trade some of the lens room for other stuff.

I saw the LowenPro 200 and others at Best Buy. They had a number of back packs for under $100. At least they did here in Houston.
10-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or you could just pop this Crumpler Haven bag into a regular pack. This oddly coloured on is super-discounted at B&H. I might have to buy one for myself.

Crumpler Haven XXL Padded Protector (Grey/Teal) HVN001-U09G80
10-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Lowpro 250 AW and I love it.
You can have a 70-200 attached to the camera in the lower insert.
10-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote

Well, being honest, if you bring most of the gear you wrote, then this bag isn't that huge. I usually put a camera with a kit lens on, Sigma 70-300, DA50 and maybe another wide-angle lens, Yongnuo Flash. Not much space is left around for stuff to wobble around. But then i try to put everything very neat, so the lenses don't touch each other while i'm on a walk. And all the small bits and pieces like SD cards, filters and remotes are in the smaller compartments.
10-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I have the Lowpro 250 AW and I love it.
You can have a 70-200 attached to the camera in the lower insert.
I bought a lowepro 250 messanger for 50 dollars at amazon. the dimension are 7.4 x 15.3 11.7 inches.
I can put a body and a 8 inch lens attached in a vertical position. it does not like a camera bag.
10-27-2014, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a lowepro microtrekker which holds 2 bodies, a 70-200/2.8 a 28-75/2.8 and a 10-20.

The only issue I have and thins is an issue with all small bags, is the straps. The shoulder straps and hip/waist strap come off the body of the pack, and since the body is small, you can have the shoulder and chest straps correctly placed, with the waist strap around your stomach, or the shoulder straps lengthened to have the waist strap on your hips where it should be, but then no padding on your shoulders, and the chest strap around your neck.

The issue with all small packs really is they lack a proper harness arrangement.
10-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

http://airbac.com/shop/camera.html

They are priced less on B& H or Adorama
10-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
I think both the Case Logic SLRC-206-BLACK and Airbac Zoom would fits the bill.

Any suggestion on which would be better fit over the other?