Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens "Hoodies"

Since I keep the shades on my lenses at all times, it was a real pain to try to reach down in the shade to take off/put on, the lens caps. So I ordered a Lens Hoodie to see if I'd like it. I love it!! It fits snugly over the shade, and keeps the dust, etc., off the lens. It has an additional harder circular piece in the front of it, to further protect the lens.

Hoodie Lens Caps - LensCoat

OpTechUSA also makes one, that I ordered yesterday for my other lens, to compare with the lens coat. This one is less expensive, and does not have the harder circular piece in the front of it. I'll report on that one when it arrives, and how I feel with the comparison of the two brands.

For those that leave their shades on their lenses, I would highly recommend trying one of these products, I think you will be very pleased with the ease of using them, rather than the lens caps.

11-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This seems like a good option for my DA*55. The hood is too deep to keep on and work the lens cap regularly.
For my other lenses, the hoods aren't that deep.
11-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I like the way FA43 cap fits on the hood so it's very easy to put or remove it. Also no springs involved, making sure it sat and so on. Comparably, Tamron caps are a pain.
However when I saw the prices for similar aftermarket items I gave up on idea of getting something similar for my M50
11-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
This seems like a good option for my DA*55. The hood is too deep to keep on and work the lens cap regularly.
For my other lenses, the hoods aren't that deep.
I find it a pain to work with the lens cap even on my 18-55WR with the short hood attached. I'm always fearful that fumbling around with the cap, I could scratch the lens!

I have an OpTech camera strap that has places on the wide part of the strap that these hoodies fold up & fit right in, so no worry about where I'll put them, if I don't have pockets.

11-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are the two brands. As I mentioned, the LensCoat has a more rigid circular piece in the front of the hoodie for further protection (more expensive); the OpTech does not. My OpTech will be here next week, so I will post as to which I like better, re/construction, fit, etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/LensCoat_Medium_Hoodie_Lens_Hood_Cover...dium/BHitems/5
11-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a bunch of the Op-tech ones, ...wouldn't worry about any lack of a rigid piece. It'd have to be a big lens or a short hood indeed for the neoprene not to suffice. Never tried the other kind, but I'm sure they'd work OK too.
11-03-2014, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

The Hoodie provides protection when the lens shade is either shooting position or reversed when there is not much space between the end of the hood and the glass so the front element protection disc in the Hoodie can be very beneficial .

11-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensCoat Quote
The Hoodie provides protection when the lens shade is either shooting position or reversed when there is not much space between the end of the hood and the glass so the front element protection disc in the Hoodie can be very beneficial .
I suppose there's that. I generally just leave hoods screwed on, myself, so that never really comes up.
11-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Same here, I leave the hoods on. However, for any lenses I might get that did not have a hood, I'd definitely want the rigid end piece of the LensCoat Hoodie!! And it does slip out, however I don't know why anyone would want to slip the end piece out & not use it. Until I get the OpTech one, just from the pictures, it looks like the LensCoat product is better made, the seams look better.

I'm very happy with it, so easy to slip over the hood, and not have to either remove the hood for the lens cap, or struggle trying to work the lens cap without scratching the glass of the lens!
11-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the OpTech lens cover will finally be arriving next week, so I'll be able to compare it with the LensCoat Hoodie I already have. Will post my thoughts here.
11-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally got the OpTech lens cover! The quality is excellent, can't see any difference between it and the LensCoat Hoodie as far as quality. Having both, I plan on using the less expensive OpTech's on any lenses that have hoods, and the LensCoat on any lens that I don't have a hood for, because of the extra protection in the front of the cover.

I'm very happy with both brands!