Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metx mecablitz 64 AF-1

Has anyone gotten this flash yet? It's now listed at B&H and Adorama at $399. That's a pretty good price for a GN of 64. And yes, I know that that GN is for a 200mm lens and the GN for 50mm is significantly less. But still.

NaCl(no reviews posted yet in the 3rd party flash section)H2O

11-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

During the Photoplus expo I took a pretty close look at it side by side with the similar Metz 52. Features are very similar to the Metz 52. The 64 adds a few extra features, but you can probably use the 52 reviews to get a good idea about the 64.
11-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just got delivery of mine. Nicely built and the touchscreen is a lot more convenient than the minimalist button approach, though the Pentax AF540 made good use of multiple buttons. It is slightly larger than the original Pentax AF540FGZ, but a good deal sturdier. A metal foot looks like it will last. Nice power and excellent exposure right out of the box set for P-TTL. Minimal delay on the K3, none on the K5II. Worked well on wireless P-TTL as well.

One odd aspect is that it makes a louder pop when flashing than most. With a Graslon diffuser it is amplified and the flash sound is noticeable. It does attach to the Graslon more securely than the AF540FGZ, but nothing grips that diffuser like the rubber on the outside of the comparably powered Sigma. The touch screen on the Metz is light years ahead of the interface on the Sigma 610 dg super. Hopefully, it will be more reliable as well.

I like this new Metz a lot, and I will report a bit more when I have used it for something worthwhile, rather than just testing and playing.
11-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I was till doing weddings I would definitely get this flash just for the extra power.

11-23-2014, 05:06 AM   #5

I've this flash, but am unsure how to get it to work in wireless mode. Can you explain? Thanks.
11-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

for all who want´s to buy a metz mecablitz. i just want to let you know, that metz has applied for bankruptcy here in germany.
11-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seeker68 Quote
for all who want´s to buy a metz mecablitz. i just want to let you know, that metz has applied for bankruptcy here in germany.
On the plus side, Metz is financially restructuring while the company keeps going. No stop in production or support any time soon.

It's the television division that sunk it, BTW.

11-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I mostly love Metz flashes. I do wish they would ditch the thumb wheel. I like the Pentax design better. Beyond that Metz makes a good flash. Auto thyristor mode can be helpful when PTTL isn't playing nice. Of course, you also have full manual control.